Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Default Upgrade's got my head spinning!!!

Long time member, so I realize how much folks hate these kind of "what to expect" threads. I realize there are tons of them on PT 11. I'm pretty sure I've read them all just to get an idea of what I'm in for. But I haven't seen my concern addressed, so I wanted to toss this out there for some feedback.

Running a Windows XP machine with ProTools 8. Rock solid. No issues. For the most part, it has all the processing I need. But I bought Slate's VBC a few weeks back, and finally came across the first plugin that's leaving my current OS behind. BUMMER! More to come, I'm sure. The thought of upgrading my current QuadCore machine to Windows 7 is something I'd love to avoid. The system is too stable to mess with. And I've got the cash for a new rockin computer, so no reason not to just build a new one.

Now that I'm getting a new computer, with new OS, and 64bit... there is no reason to keep working in PT8. So I've got 11 on the way. I've read the threads. I'm pretty sure what to expect. I realize it's gonna have bugs, and not every company has AAX support yet. I'm up on the double install of PT11 and PT10. Since 11 doesn't support RTAS anymore, and people still need to work with their old plugins until everyone goes AAX.

My real question is... how does all the 32bit/64bit stuff sort itself out, when using old 32bit plugins on a 64bit machine? For instance, I'm gonna need to wrap up an EP for a band in the early new year. And I'm gonna need some of the plugins that haven't gone AAX yet, for mixing. So I'm gonna have to use the version of PT10 that I can run as a double on my PT11 system. So, are the 32bit RTAS versions of these plugins working on a 64bit system? Or have the RTAS versions gone 64bit via an upgrade. And if so, do the settings port over from the 32 bit to the 64 bit?

Also, when I'm running RTAS versions of plugins, and they get moved over to AAX, I may need to go back to PT10 on occasion before moving over to PT11. Do the AAX versions just install side by side with the RTAS ones, just like VST's do?

I really don't see anyone talking about this. Maybe I'm overcomplicating things, and this is all so much more simple. The major thing holding me back here is my lack of ability to start testing some of this on a 64bit machine. The build is still a week or two out. I'd just love to have some kind of understanding of how this whole 33 bit and 64bit, side by side, is going to work.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 12-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Upgrade's got my head spinning!!!

Hey

Love your user name spelling

Regarding the 32/64 bit plugin issue you have to check that the plugins you have 32 bit versions of are available in 64 bit even if it isn't AAX64 ready yet if you wanna be able to use them in "hosts" or "wrappers" like BlueCat Audio PatchWork or MB-7 II as PT11 doesn't take any 32 bit. There is something called jBridge for upping 32 bit to 64 bit for use in the "wrappers and hosts" so PT11 can see them as 64bit ... Puuuh This is really complex and makes my head spin aswell when trying to explain all these plugin versions and types

Well that is that and regarding plugins for use in PT10 you need to check that aswell so you have both rtas/aax32 bit and if available AAX64 bit for PT11. Some plugin developers have started to combine both AAX64 and AAX32 bit installers into one download but there are still some you have to install both versions in order to work with both 10 and 11 for now.

All this info will be on your plugin developers website regarding 32/64 bit and all the different versions and updates for your specific plugins.

Regarding the settings and stuff like the 32 to 64 versions of the plugins I can't answer that and hopefully someone else who knows this can chime in here

Best of Luck and make sure you read up on all this before you start installing everything as I can easily say it is a headspinner to grasp all this.

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-04-2013, 04:53 PM

So, the 32 bit plugins will not work in a 64 bit OS?

Can anyone confirm if 32 bit RTAS plugins port their settings over to the 64bit version? Avid makes it pretty clear that no RTAS will port any settings over to AAX.

Is everyone keeping a backup 32 bit system to finish their corrent projects?

Albee, where you at? ;-)
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 12-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
So, the 32 bit plugins will not work in a 64 bit OS?

Can anyone confirm if 32 bit RTAS plugins port their settings over to the 64bit version? Avid makes it pretty clear that no RTAS will port any settings over to AAX.

Is everyone keeping a backup 32 bit system to finish their corrent projects?

Albee, where you at? ;-)
Correct : 32bit will NOT work in PT11

There aren't any 64bit rtas at all anymore so there will not be any 64 bit rtas available to download. You need 64 bit AAX for PT11 and or 64Bit AU/VST for using the non-AAX64 bit plugins via Bluecat plugin hosts and they use VST64 bit so that is nothing starnge as rtas was 32 bit and now PT11 is 64 bit completely and only uses AAX64 bit.

TDM and rtas have beed dropped completely from PT11.

Most people have both PT10 with all the plugins they used before upgrading and another and PT11 with the plugins that have been ported already and jumps between them both while waiting for the developers to become AAX64bit.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Yes, the 32 bit RTAS plugins will work in PT 10 on a 64 bit OS.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 12-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
I thought he was asking about PT11 but I can be wrong

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
This has taken a load off my mind. Thank you!

I guess maybe I'm in the wrong place, cause I am wondering about PT 10, and exactly how it deals with the transition to AAX. With regard to providing a final death rattle to RTAS. I just posted it in the PT 11 forum cause I was under the impression that the PT 10 version being used to support the transition, was only something being given to PT 11 customers, as a way to easy the transition. A special release of some sort.

But honestly, if the 32bit plugins work in the 64bit OS, and with the provided PT 10 version, then I really have no issues.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
Long time member, so I realize how much folks hate these kind of "what to expect" threads. I realize there are tons of them on PT 11. I'm pretty sure I've read them all just to get an idea of what I'm in for. But I haven't seen my concern addressed, so I wanted to toss this out there for some feedback.

Running a Windows XP machine with ProTools 8. Rock solid. No issues. For the most part, it has all the processing I need. But I bought Slate's VBC a few weeks back, and finally came across the first plugin that's leaving my current OS behind. BUMMER! More to come, I'm sure. The thought of upgrading my current QuadCore machine to Windows 7 is something I'd love to avoid. The system is too stable to mess with. And I've got the cash for a new rockin computer, so no reason not to just build a new one.

Now that I'm getting a new computer, with new OS, and 64bit... there is no reason to keep working in PT8. So I've got 11 on the way. I've read the threads. I'm pretty sure what to expect. I realize it's gonna have bugs, and not every company has AAX support yet. I'm up on the double install of PT11 and PT10. Since 11 doesn't support RTAS anymore, and people still need to work with their old plugins until everyone goes AAX.

My real question is... how does all the 32bit/64bit stuff sort itself out, when using old 32bit plugins on a 64bit machine? For instance, I'm gonna need to wrap up an EP for a band in the early new year. And I'm gonna need some of the plugins that haven't gone AAX yet, for mixing. So I'm gonna have to use the version of PT10 that I can run as a double on my PT11 system. So, are the 32bit RTAS versions of these plugins working on a 64bit system? Or have the RTAS versions gone 64bit via an upgrade. And if so, do the settings port over from the 32 bit to the 64 bit?

Also, when I'm running RTAS versions of plugins, and they get moved over to AAX, I may need to go back to PT10 on occasion before moving over to PT11. Do the AAX versions just install side by side with the RTAS ones, just like VST's do?

I really don't see anyone talking about this. Maybe I'm overcomplicating things, and this is all so much more simple. The major thing holding me back here is my lack of ability to start testing some of this on a 64bit machine. The build is still a week or two out. I'd just love to have some kind of understanding of how this whole 33 bit and 64bit, side by side, is going to work.
Long time no see!! Hope things are well.

32 bit (Rtas-AAX32 bit) plugins on the 64 bit OS is not a problem. You will just use these plugins in PT10 only. They are not compatible with PT11

If for instance you are working in PT11 and jump back to 10, IF the plugins you are using are available in both platforms (AAX64 bit-Rtas) they will mostly open and hold the settings without issues. There are a few plugins that will not depending on what your using. Some Avid plugins for instance are distinct version updates and won't open the old version. Also some company's have made a bit of change to plugin so they can sound a bit different.

If you open a session in 11 and the plugins are not available in 10(or vice versa) don't worry. Your plugin will be inactive, but you won't lose settings when going back to the proper version.

You have been at this long enough, nothing to worry about. It's not as complex as it may seem currently.

I would keep your current machine going with everything till you verify the new machine can open the sessions without any issues.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Long time no see!! Hope things are well.

32 bit (Rtas-AAX32 bit) plugins on the 64 bit OS is not a problem. You will just use these plugins in PT10 only. They are not compatible with PT11

If for instance you are working in PT11 and jump back to 10, IF the plugins you are using are available in both platforms (AAX64 bit-Rtas) they will mostly open and hold the settings without issues. There are a few plugins that will not depending on what your using. Some Avid plugins for instance are distinct version updates and won't open the old version. Also some company's have made a bit of change to plugin so they can sound a bit different.

If you open a session in 11 and the plugins are not available in 10(or vice versa) don't worry. Your plugin will be inactive, but you won't lose settings when going back to the proper version.

You have been at this long enough, nothing to worry about. It's not as complex as it may seem currently.

I would keep your current machine going with everything till you verify the new machine can open the sessions without any issues.
Ya bro. Long time no talk. Hope all is well with you too. All good on my end.

Thanks for some futher info. Sounds like I'm gonna be ok, for the most part.

Many thanks to everyone for their feedback. I do feel a lot better about my immediate future!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

Regarding Avid AAX plug-ins that are both 64-bit and 32-bit for both PT11 and PT10, see this post in the AAX forum:

Sticky: Avid 64-bit AAX Plug-ins for Pro Tools 11

The exceptions where an AAX plug-in is only 64-bit for PT11 are noted there. In those cases where there is no AAX 32-bit version, you would also install the ".dpm" RTAS, AudioSuite, or TDM version of the plug-in for PT 10 if available (separate download and installation), as well as the 64-bit AAX version for PT11.