Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-18-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Apogee Trak2 with TDM vs LE

In researching different aspects of the limitations of a Digi001 system, it sounds like the hardware is the main problem negatively affecting the sound quality of LE systems. I have read some postings by people comparing RTAS to TDM versions of plug-ins and the difference seems minimal. The main drawback appears to be the preamps, converters, and clock of the Digi001 hardware. By using an Apogee Trak2 as the core hardware for an LE system to replace the pres, converters and clock of the Digi001, I would think that there would be no difference in sound quality between an LE system running off of a Trak2 and a TDM/Trak2 system. (If anything the LE/Trak2 system should be a little better than a mix system due to the summing bus, right?)

This of course assumes that I only record at 44.1 or 48K, I don’t need more than 32 tracks, and I have enough processing power when combining the host processor with outboard reverb units.

Would you agree that this is the case, or am I missing something?
Old 07-18-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Apogee Trak2 with TDM vs LE

I would think you have a good approach. And with the newer processors, you could definitely end up with more dsp power than the average Mix system... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Darryl Ramm
Old 07-19-2003, 02:28 AM

how do you plan to connect the Trak2 to the 001?
Old 07-19-2003, 01:55 PM

The Trak2 has multiple connecting/routing options. It has spdif out for two tracks and word clock into the back of the digi001. With a AMBUS ADAT option card, you can connect with lightpipe, also accessing routing for 8 channels of digital signal within the Trak2.

I wish the Trak2 had a spdif in, not just a spdif out. That would help with routing an effects unit without converting to analog and back to digital. I haven't seen any effects units that have optical I/O for digital. Does anyone know of any?