Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2010, 02:27 PM

Default Why isn't this a feature?

How about a warning before pro tools has to de-activate and re-activate all of the plugs!? It must be the most annoying thing in the world to add your last plug, and have to wait 10 mins for it to do the DSP shuffle, when it would have been as easy as choosing RTAS. If you think this is a good idea, chime in. Lets see if we can get AVID to help us out.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Why isn't this a feature?

I just experienced this last night, and it scared the hell out of me! After a moment of extreme terror, I breathed a sigh of relief when it finished its number crunching and started working again. It's quite a coincidence that you posted this thread today. I've never had this happen to me before, and really had no idea what was going on. I meant to reaearch it today, so it's good that you jogged my memory to get schooled. Is this something new in PT 8?

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM

No, when you've used most or all of your TDM resources it will de-activate and re-activate your plug-ins to re-allocate time-slots and squeeze the most DSP out of your rig. This happens to me a lot, and always at the worst time. There should be a warning, so I can switch some plugs to RTAS, or just choose and RTAS instance instead of TDM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM

I'd settle for a CANCEL button.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:53 PM

could not agree more. Very annoying. An time consuming - especially when it comes back with 'computer says no'.

Don't think a cancel button would work though - halfway through deactivating probably not a great time to bail. Needs the dialog box for sure.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 PM

You could always buy more cards.

<ducks for cover under console>

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
You could always buy more cards.

<ducks for cover under console>
more cards won't fit in the Mac! I shouldn't *need* an HD5 when tracking rock. But I do

I, too, would like an option before the re-shuffling begins. Bit me last night trying to duplicate a couple of tracks for the 'one more track' backrounds and suddenly had to wait a couple of minutes for math. Suckin.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
more cards won't fit in the Mac! I shouldn't *need* an HD5 when tracking rock. But I do

I, too, would like an option before the re-shuffling begins. Bit me last night trying to duplicate a couple of tracks for the 'one more track' backrounds and suddenly had to wait a couple of minutes for math. Suckin.
That is definitely the worse. I can't tell you how many times I'm like... "Oh you want 6 back-up tracks? Sure!" (Each Vocal track has about 4 TDM plug-ins) I go to duplicate and choose 6. Instantly the window pops up for shuffling and I'm thinking..."Crap! Here goes 10-15 minutes of time for it to continuously shuffle and tell me that there isn't enough DSP."

I would definitely like a dialogue box previous to a shuffling of plug-ins. If it could shuffle really quick, then I'd be all about it, but shuffling usually takes about 20 seconds or more a plug-in.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio