Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 AM

Default Control 24 back from Digi Repair

So I sent my Control 24 out to Digi for repair.

WELL WORTH THE MONEY AND TIME, so far.

I won't get too detailed on cost, as I'm not sure Digi would appreciate it, but if you're considering it, call them and see for yourself. It's not the cheapest thing in the world, but you probably couldn't even buy your necessary components for the repair at their Flat-Rate cost, Let alone the cost of losing sessions.

If you're having the dreaded and ever so common connection related issues, it'd likely be cheaper to just replace all your DC lead connectors with Crimp-Type connectors discussed on this forum, however, read on......

My unit was damaged by a construction company on the floor above dumping small particle debris into my faders, and so they all were replaced. This was a request on my part and I paid extra for this (Over the top of the flat-rate repair cost).

They replaced my Preamp 1-8 as they found a grounding issue. They also replaced the entire DC Wiring Harness in the board. Hopefully this will solve the connection issues, and won't require that I open the unit and reset the DC Leads on the power supply every 30-90 days.

Other than that, they cleaned everything, and may have even replaced more than I am aware of. Every button, and knob (Obviously the brand new faders as well) all feel like brand new.

The slight flicker in all my Led's and Scribble Strips is gone. My talkback is nice and loud & clear again. Fader response is far more accurate. Pre's sound better.

Keep in mind that I've had the board open numerous times, cleaning, protecting, and reseating all the connectors, as well as cleaning and protecting all the buttons, knobs, and faders - And after coming back, it is in much better condition than I was able to bring it to.

It was a decent investment, however, for those of you having issues with your board, it may be worth the investment to be able to rely on it. It also carries a 90 Day warranty on the work performed.

I'm hoping she remains stable, but of course, if/when she crashes again I'll post the news!

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Control 24 back from Digi Repair

About a month in on the repair and still no major problems... I am a little dissapointed that they didn't fix the hiss in my talkback/listenback but overall I guess it's still successfull. So far.

OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)

Live:
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Custom enclosure
Old 05-24-2008, 01:14 AM

The hiss or noise in your talkback is it high Frequency?

My Control 24, since i bought it new roughly 14 months ago has had a motor noise when using the Talkback pre amp as i have an external mic (sm58) plugged into it.

Actually sound more like a huge helicopter, pretty annoying as i do a lot of ISDN work.

The scribble strips are also starting to fail on two channels, maybe i could have both problems sorted?

Digi is this possible?

Anyone have any further info on similar stuff happening in the talk back section?

Thanks

S
Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM

I also get REALLY loud hiss when I try to send listen to mon? Or is it Aux to mon... I forget.

Yeah it's like a loud white noise. No heli's over here. That might even be your computer?

You got any questionable drives? Long shot... probably in the 24. Probably a DC issue... same with your scribbles.

Digi put in a new DC Harness for me that has better connectors. So far all the DC related issues I was having are staying gone. Just crummy talkback. I guess I've heard they were pretty shotty from day one, but it works. Just annoying. No 'slating' it like the old SSL Mods I guess! LOL

OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)

Live:
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Custom enclosure
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Emcee View Post
So I sent my Control 24 out to Digi for repair.

WELL WORTH THE MONEY AND TIME, so far.

I won't get too detailed on cost, as I'm not sure Digi would appreciate it, but if you're considering it, call them and see for yourself. It's not the cheapest thing in the world, but you probably couldn't even buy your necessary components for the repair at their Flat-Rate cost, Let alone the cost of losing sessions.

If you're having the dreaded and ever so common connection related issues, it'd likely be cheaper to just replace all your DC lead connectors with Crimp-Type connectors discussed on this forum, however, read on......

My unit was damaged by a construction company on the floor above dumping small particle debris into my faders, and so they all were replaced. This was a request on my part and I paid extra for this (Over the top of the flat-rate repair cost).

They replaced my Preamp 1-8 as they found a grounding issue. They also replaced the entire DC Wiring Harness in the board. Hopefully this will solve the connection issues, and won't require that I open the unit and reset the DC Leads on the power supply every 30-90 days.

Other than that, they cleaned everything, and may have even replaced more than I am aware of. Every button, and knob (Obviously the brand new faders as well) all feel like brand new.

The slight flicker in all my Led's and Scribble Strips is gone. My talkback is nice and loud & clear again. Fader response is far more accurate. Pre's sound better.

Keep in mind that I've had the board open numerous times, cleaning, protecting, and reseating all the connectors, as well as cleaning and protecting all the buttons, knobs, and faders - And after coming back, it is in much better condition than I was able to bring it to.

It was a decent investment, however, for those of you having issues with your board, it may be worth the investment to be able to rely on it. It also carries a 90 Day warranty on the work performed.

I'm hoping she remains stable, but of course, if/when she crashes again I'll post the news!
Did you know the slight flicker in all the Led's and Scribble Strips exact problem was and which one part was changed in order to solve for this issue?

Shorty Emcee,
How about the Phantom Power 48 Volts?

Thanks
Opacheco.