Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 02-17-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Using 3rd Party MIDI Patch Name files in Pro Tools

Is there somewhere on this site or out on the web where the tags and attributes in the device list file are defined? In other words, is there somewhere where I can find out how attributes like IsSampler="true" or CanRoute="true" are interpreted and where I might find other attributes. Surely someone has a list of these somewhere...
Old 02-17-2006, 03:51 PM

The midnam and middev specs were put together by the MIDI Manufacturers Association, so you might want to check their site; but, the last time I looked, there was no info.

I wrote a middev editor as part of CherryPicker (2.62) and basically used all the tags I'd come across in looking at whatever files I could find put out by MOTU, Digi, and others. My gut tells me that none of the apps that use midnam/middev actually respond to 99% of the values in a middev file - all they really care about is that the file exists, and that its name/manufacturer correspond to the midnam - which contains the name info. They might also respond to the bank select switches.

The basic problem with all the midnam/middev stuff is that each DAW implements a different subset - and none (AFIK) uses all of the available tags. MOTU files are not always compatible with Digi etc. I wrote an app called CherryMangler that converts an entire MOTU folder into a Digi compatible one - it also generates a Digi middev file. If you use this, you can use CherryPicker to add expansion patch names to just about all synths, since MOTU includes them in their distribution - and there are many sites where you can download the MOTU folder.

I'm not trying to plug CherryPicker, since I put it out as basically freeware - but you might find it useful to look at the documentation (which is on-line) where I try to explain some of the nuances of midnams/middevs.
(www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker)

Cheers, Rob
Old 02-24-2006, 01:25 AM

Rob, your applications are so great and usefull that DIGI should consider them very highly.

DIGI, I have just a regret, no more synt editor on the market, and the very few that are, support only librarian function for some grat synt and with just only interaction with prootools.

Thanks Rob for helping us a lot.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Re: MIDI Patch Names - From TDM Mac Forum

I have been many hours typing the name patch names of my Kurzweil K2600, because the system don´t have the expansion ROM names. Now the file don´t run. P

Please could somebody send to me the file ¨Kurzweil K2600.midnam¨ I forgot to make a copy and now I have nothing to control my synth names.

[email protected]

Thank you!!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Re: MIDI Patch Names - From TDM Mac Forum

I found a much needed Midi patch name file for my Korg TR Workstation here.
Thanks to the site and Hugo for working on this.

JRPJazz

http://www.digicake.com/midnam/