Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 07:15 AM

Default Plug-In Sharing and Mod Delay Plugs - NOT GOOD!!!!

Anyone noticed that HD does some freaky things with regards to pulling up Digidesign Mod Delay plug-ins on Aux inputs? The system usage window brings the delay plugs up on 'Plug-In Sharing' chips. Fair enough. BUT - you can only get 2 instances of each plug-in per DSP chip on an accel card and only ONE instance up on a Core DSP card DESPITE the fact that in the DSP Usage window it shows that hardly any of the DSP chip in question has been used!!!!!!!!

For instance, when I pull up an Extra Long Delay (using the Core Card) it uses 14% of a 'Plug-In Sharing' chip. Then when I want to add another delay it will jump down to the next DSP chip and start up another plug-in sharing instance; again using 14% Why can't the second delay just use the same chip as the first? This is a complete waste of the power of HD. I simply can't see me using enough 'sharing' plugs to fill up the extra space left ....especially when I want to use that space for all the other plugs I have (McDSP, Sound Toys, Indigo, Bombfactory, etc) If I use 4 delays in one session then I only have 4 chips left for my other plugs on the Core Card. This seems SO silly to me that I've convinced I'm doing something wrong. Am I?

Also, can someone explain to me what exactly Stream Manager is? I get this in the system usage window when I bring up Altiverb.

Thanks,

p
Old 05-07-2004, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Plug-In Sharing and Mod Delay Plugs - NOT GOOD

The system usage window does not tell the whole story. What is happening with the delays is that the memory on the chip is being used up, not the DSP resources. This is expected behaviour, but it would be nice if there was some kind of indicator to see what the memory situation is.

Stream Manager is for HTDM plugs.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Plug-In Sharing and Mod Delay Plugs - NOT GOOD

Last night, I chose to apply two different mono delays to two separate aux channels.

When one was set-up to generate say, an eighth note delay and the other to a sixteenth note delay, the second delay would duplicate the setting of the former delay. So this defeated the purpose of using two delays in the first place and rendered it totally unuseable. How can this be resolved?