Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-07-2021, 01:52 PM

Default Any 192khz Carbon Users?

I'm just curious if any users are working at 192K with the carbon. What kind of DSP mileage you're getting out of your favorite plug-ins. Hows is the CPU usage? How you're liking the sound.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Any 192khz Carbon Users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
I'm just curious if any users are working at 192K with the carbon. What kind of DSP mileage you're getting out of your favorite plug-ins. Hows is the CPU usage? How you're liking the sound.
Lots of plugins don't work at 192, but lots do. What's your motivation for 192 instead?
Old 11-30-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Lots of plugins don't work at 192, but lots do. What's your motivation for 192 instead?
Fold back aliasing, and fold back distortion. I use lots of saturation, overdrive, and distortion plug-ins. These types of plug-ins sound horrible at low sample rates.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Fold back aliasing, and fold back distortion. I use lots of saturation, overdrive, and distortion plug-ins. These types of plug-ins sound horrible at low sample rates.
Interesting. I’m loving Carbon - the interface sounds fanstastic to me, and I’m coming from a Burl mothership / HDX rig…
I’m running at 96k and it sounds super balanced and resolved.
I prefer it to 48k, which I’ve also been using.

To add to your question , is anyone doing 32 bit sessions ?
Old 12-09-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Interesting. I’m loving Carbon - the interface sounds fanstastic to me, and I’m coming from a Burl mothership / HDX rig…
I’m running at 96k and it sounds super balanced and resolved.
I prefer it to 48k, which I’ve also been using.

I have pretty much just been doing 24 bit 48 k also.
I suppose I could try 32 bit if I do I will report back

I have not heard back anything on the 2021.10 I/O issue where if launch at a different sample rate it will loose the I/O settings OR am I the only one experiencing this ?
problem discussed here
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415747&page=3

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-10-2021, 09:22 AM

I have been using 32 bit. As advertised the converter is native 32 bit. I'm not sure if I can tell a difference. But I do feel like there's a hint more dynamic range. This could be good or bad depending on what you're going for.

I figure I have the computer and the space, and I bought the Ferrari interface. Might as well drive it fast. :)

I really like the sound of this thing. It's one of the reasons I bought it. The pres and converters sound so balanced. Everything has a slight bit of thickness and weight to it surprisingly. Cheaper boxes never have this balanced sound to me. The carbon does. I was looking at more transformer-based stuff originally, but the carbon kept catching my ears.

Last edited by tekn0; 09-05-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I have been using 32 bit. As advertised the converter is native 32 bit. I'm not sure if I can tell a difference. But I do feel like there's a hint more dynamic range. This could be good or bad depending on what you're going for.

I figure I have the computer and the space, and I bought the Ferrari interface. Might as well drive it fast. :)

I really like the sound of this thing. It's one of the reasons I bought it. The pres and converters sound so balanced. Everything has a slight bit of thickness and weight to it surprisingly. Cheaper boxes never have this balanced sound to me. The carbon does. I was looking at more transformer-based stuff originally, but the carbon kept catching my ears. The match of carbon and HEAT at high sample rates is a joy to work with.
Agree with you about the weight and balanced tone of Carbon . It’s special. I actually am preferring the pure but solid tone over the systems I’ve used in the past including the Burl- which was over 10k$$$ for converters alone!

Awesome machine the Carbon !
Old 12-26-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Agree with you about the weight and balanced tone of Carbon . It’s special. I actually am preferring the pure but solid tone over the systems I’ve used in the past including the Burl- which was over 10k$$$ for converters alone!

Awesome machine the Carbon !
Absolutely! I was definitely looking at all the transformer options. But I just loved the sound of the carbon. And like I said above, HEAT adds any of that mojo I need. :)

I just wish they made it so you could track live with HEAT on. They disable it for some reason. Hopefully, in an update, they change that.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
All sessions are 32 bit, in terms of mixing. Some portions are 64 bit.

The 32 bit session option only refers to recording new files and/or when other files get rendered into the session due to sample rate mismatch, etc.

I still don't see the point of actually analog recording 32 bit files, given 24 bits provides more dynamic range than any converter, or our ears can capture. (As long as we don't clip our 24 bit recording)