Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Where is your computer monitor placed?

Hi. When researching the possible purchase of a C|24, I note that the Argosy desk that is part of this particular potential deal has a rear shelf that is 37.5 inches above the floor. Add to that 5 inches for the base of my monitor stand. That means that the vertical view of my 30 inch Apple Cinema Display goes from 42.25 at its lowest point, to a nose-bleeding head-tilting backwards yelp-inducing 58 inches at its highest. An estimated 21.5 degrees for my preferred viewing distance. My C1 cervical vertebrae hurts just thinking about it.

So... do you owners of large control surfaces just live with the awkward ergonomics as is? Or do you put your screen off to the side? Or what?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Where is your computer monitor placed?

To be honest, my setup is only temporary so far, before I find a place to build the studio properly. And that will include a custom-built desk for my C24. So far, I have my 24" LCD placed behind the console (as close as the LCD stand can get) and a few inches above the meter bridge, which sets the center of the screen roughly to the level of my eyes. My second 20" LCD sits on the right side of the console. I have an Ergotron LCD arm on the way, which will allow me to move the main 24" LCD closer to me, or to move it away if needed. I don't have the surround setup yet, but I can imagine that it will not make the LCD placement easy.

Tom

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Here is my monitor

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 AM

I had a similar issue here. I got one of these for my 30" Cinema display:
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tab...9/Default.aspx

You also need the Apple VESA adapter kit which replaces the Cinema display stand.

There's also a variant for attaching the arm to a desk. Don't know if this could be made to work with an Argosy?

In my case the arm is lifting the display over the top of C24 meter bridge and moving forward by 4 inches from the top front edge of the meter bridge. The bottom of the cinema display is about an inch higher than the top of the meter bridge. This means I can still see the C24 meters but I'm not straining to look at the Cinema display.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
Hi. When researching the possible purchase of a C|24, I note that the Argosy desk that is part of this particular potential deal has a rear shelf that is 37.5 inches above the floor. Add to that 5 inches for the base of my monitor stand. That means that the vertical view of my 30 inch Apple Cinema Display goes from 42.25 at its lowest point, to a nose-bleeding head-tilting backwards yelp-inducing 58 inches at its highest. An estimated 21.5 degrees for my preferred viewing distance. My C1 cervical vertebrae hurts just thinking about it.

So... do you owners of large control surfaces just live with the awkward ergonomics as is? Or do you put your screen off to the side? Or what?
Dale--
I have the exact set-up that you speak of (C/24 with the Argosy desk model 90-NC24-RR and a 30" Gateway monitor). I had the same issues with neck fatigue and looking up at the screen, so I bought one of these: http://www.innovativeessentials.com/...roducts_id=407 . It comes with mounting hardware to mount it several different ways; in the end, I just drilled two holes in the back panel of the desk and securely mounted it that way. I cannot open that top door on the Argosy, but with a monitor on a traditional stand sitting there, I could not open that door anyway. It works great, allows me to bring the monitor closer so I can work at full resolution, and I can drop it down below the plane of the top of the Argosy, so no neck strain! Hope this helps!!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 AM

I use 3 -24" on Ergotron arms. All are thin bezel and come down in front of the argosy top to be just above the c/24 meters. Giving a low profile (ish) for studio viewing straight ahead.
Above the glass to the studio I have 16x10 projector screen for PT's center-screen or video.