Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Default MAgma PE6R4 and Pro Tools 9 HD

Are we still ok with the Magma PE6R4 with PCIX cards in PT9 HD?
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Default Re: MAgma PE6R4 and Pro Tools 9 HD

bumparoo
Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Brian,
Yes, PT9 works on Magma PE-6R4I Expansion Chassis.
We have run it and it works!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:15 AM

and...
is protools 9 going to work with DigiDesign expansion/HD
(at the moment operating with 8.0.1

Could be grate...
Thank you, Eagle
Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 AM

AFIK This configuration (PCI-X /PE6R4) was beta tested in Protools 9 HD.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagledb View Post
and...
is protools 9 going to work with DigiDesign expansion/HD
(at the moment operating with 8.0.1
No. The Digidesign Ethernet Expansion|HD is not supported anymore.

Oliver
Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Can any one else offer successes with PT9/Magma combinations? For those that are working, like Marti, what Mac Pro are you running please?

Many thanks,

John- Caldwell
Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Not to oversimplify the issue too much gang, but u need to think of the Magma Chassis as an 'extension' cord for PCI-e or -x. No one would ever worry if an electric extension cord will work one day as long as America uses a 2 pronged connector and 120VAC.

It's really the same with Magma boxes. There are no drivers to update - never were. Never will be. It's a PCI extension cord. If a card works IN the computer - it will work OUTSIDE the computer in the 'extension cord box'. Magma designed these boxes that way. They will never 'stop working' until the 'hardware' changes it's communication protocol to something other than PCIe. And then of course Magma will come out with a new box.

I think I understand why Avid doesn't want to keep 'certifying' these boxes. But I can tell you that EVERY audio PCI card I've ever owned (MOTU 424e Card, UAD2, Avid HD1) still all work as they did before in my Magma 1 space PCIe box for PCExpress34 (laptop) and the little insert cards in my MacPros at home and at the studio - thru each software upgrade from each company.

So Relax. PT9 will work talking to Avid or any ASIO based PCI hardware in a Magma box for a LOOONG time to come. If it's NOT working for you, it has nothing to do with the upgrade to PT9 software in and of itself.

Of that I'm sure.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Hi,

My 3 PCI-x HD cards are sitting very lonely in the unused G5...

What are the drawbacks of using this Magma box if any? Do I remember reading somewhere that the main difference was double the latency for the RTAS buffer? or was that just for the digi expansion box that used an ethernet cable?

Thanks for any info.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:26 PM

I like the analogy, but perhaps it's somewhat too general. The difference in latency, for example, between even Magma-branded chassis is great enough that some users describe unusable latency when trying to track with the older Magma boxes, while the PE6R4 is sometimes said has having such low latency that it's just like the cards are mounted in the computer. Not wanting to disagree with you, because I'm sure I don't doubt you, but only to point out that there are some differences that some users observe with different configurations.

John-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
Not to oversimplify the issue too much gang, but u need to think of the Magma Chassis as an 'extension' cord for PCI-e or -x. No one would ever worry if an electric extension cord will work one day as long as America uses a 2 pronged connector and 120VAC.

It's really the same with Magma boxes. There are no drivers to update - never were. Never will be. It's a PCI extension cord. If a card works IN the computer - it will work OUTSIDE the computer in the 'extension cord box'. Magma designed these boxes that way. They will never 'stop working' until the 'hardware' changes it's communication protocol to something other than PCIe. And then of course they'll come out with a new box. I understand why Avid doesn't want to keep 'certifying' these boxes. But EVERY audio PCI card I've ever owned still works identically in my Magma 1 space PCIe box for PCExpress34 (laptop) and the little insert cards in my MacPros at home and at the studio. Relax. PT9 will work talking to PCI hardware in a Magma box for a LOOONG time to come. If it's NOT working for you, it has nothing to do with the upgrade to PT9 software in and of itself.

Of that I'm sure.