Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-24-2023, 11:00 AM

Default Pro Tools "not responding"

Hello, I've recently put together a computer to run pro tools and am having some issues. I've got an Asus Prime z690-p wifi with an Intel core i9-13900K processor and 32g of ddr5 ram, running on Windows 11 22H2. It will freeze every few seconds with the "not responding" message. I've only been trying sessions with a stereo bus and little to no plugins, haven't gotten to loading in a "real" session yet. I've done some troubleshooting and am still kind of working with Avid support and they/I/we are having trouble working out the issue. In it's place I've been using Ardour which has been solid so far but no luck with pro tools. I've been testing on a little scarlett solo gen1 and was getting playback, pending on the drivers used, until i get this working. I'm just curious if anyone has had any similar issues or have any advice on what could be causing this. Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks folks.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools "not responding"

Hi the PC world is a little touchy getting all working great but can be done. Start by Optimizing your Bios settings as you don't want any setting related to energy saving there that affect CPU. ( Pretty Important ) Also a good idea is to get the ram working at the speed they are supposed to ( that have to be in the Bios too ) Google more info on this .

Also a show stopper in the windows world is the background services and startup items. Make shure you have disabled all the services you don't need or are essential. You're gonna end with maybe 3-5 services and startup items including the Avid and Pace ones depending on your system . And last on this , recheck OS optimizations just in case.

Also try with another Audio interface driver version or/and test with the Asio2all driver.

And last chech for ALL your drivers and make sure they are up to date.

Hope this help something !
Old 04-24-2023, 11:26 AM

Welcome to DUC.

Best advice is start be reading the content under "help us help you" up the top of every DUC webpage.

When posting here asking for help you should be including a SiSoft Sandra report and a clear description of exactly what troubleshooting had been done, otherwise you are going to get all the same stuff suggested back to you, and that wastes everybody's time.

Make sure your system is fully optimized, every last thing done now, no matter how intrusive, at least for now.

Until you have been through all this carefully yourself contacting Avid support, or trying to get help here is likely a waste if time, just plow through all this standard stuff, ask here if unsure about something.

*Always suspect plugins* Pay special attention to third party plugins, if you have had other DAWS installed and have installed other audio plugins they may have installed AAX format plugins on your system. Even if you are not using them in a session just having one buggy or incompatible plugin installed can break Pro Tools. You need to be doing proper troubleshooting by moving all the .aaxplugin files out of their plugin folder, trashing prefs, and retesting, if that is equally unstable then you absolutely have excluded plugins as an issue.

The best source of information about building a Pro Tools PC is this monster thread: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426 Ideally follow other known great build there.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-24-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Make sure your system is fully optimized, every last thing done now, no matter how intrusive, at least for now.

+1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume