Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2022, 06:57 PM

Default Perpetual Renewal price for PT Studio?

I run the current PT version 2021.12.0 and can download the new PT Studio for free. I have continued my perpetual renewal plan for updates and support at the $199 price and covered until Nov of this year.

However, I am now confused about the price to go forward.

In my PT account, I am currently offered the same price of $199 for another year of "Renewal" for updates and support. But when I open the drop-down menu below, there is another option, and the price says $299 "paid up front"?

Can someone offer a clear explanation of what I should expect to pay in November and forward?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Perpetual Renewal price for PT Studio?

The $299 option is a bait and switch to a subscription and may require you to surrender your current perpetual license if you choose it.

All you should be seeking is a renewal of you "Update and Support Plan" for your perpetual license. That's $199 per year for Pro Tools Studio.

I believe the Avid webpage is unclear about this and I've read that something is being done to make simple renewals of a non-expired Update and Support Plan more clear and obvious.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The $299 option is a bait and switch to a subscription and may require you to surrender your current perpetual license if you choose it...
FYI- Crossgrades that provided 2 years of discounted subscription when trading in your perpetual license were discontinued in Sep 2021.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihate100bees View Post
...I am now confused about the price to go forward.

In my PT account, I am currently offered the same price of $199 for another year of "Renewal" for updates and support. But when I open the drop-down menu below, there is another option, and the price says $299 "paid up front"?...
The 'paid upfront' option for $299 is an annual subscription.

Since you have an active Software Updates + Support Plan for your perpetual license the default in the pop-up list is a Software Updates + Support Plan Renewal. The others are just listed as options - if your plan was expired (and beyond the 30 day grace period) it would show a Get Current upgrade instead of the Renewal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen_Shot_2022-05-02_at_8_23_27_PM.jpg (21.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-03-2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
The 'paid upfront' option for $299 is an annual subscription.

Since you have an active Software Updates + Support Plan for your perpetual license the default in the pop-up list is a Software Updates + Support Plan Renewal. The others are just listed as options - if your plan was expired (and beyond the 30 day grace period) it would show a Get Current upgrade instead of the Renewal.

So, the three subscription offers provided in the screenshot is actually options to buy completely new separate licenses, three flavours. That's half an hour I'll never get back, trying to decipher avidish.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
So, the three subscription offers provided in the screenshot is actually options to buy completely new separate licenses, three flavours. That's half an hour I'll never get back, trying to decipher avidish.
Given the renew his perpetual is the only one with the Buy now button or the "default" as jeffro put it ... (other than English as a second language confusion) I do not get how the other three offers clearly listed as "Subscription" offers,,,, are confusing ?

Basically they offer a discount for the Studio subscription paid up front option , as opposed to the paid monthly option , which is pretty standard practice across multiple industries ,here in the US anyway ?????????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-05-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Given the renew his perpetual is the only one with the Buy now button or the "default" as jeffro put it ... (other than English as a second language confusion) I do not get how the other three offers clearly listed as "Subscription" offers,,,, are confusing ?

Basically they offer a discount for the Studio subscription paid up front option , as opposed to the paid monthly option , which is pretty standard practice across multiple industries ,here in the US anyway ?????????
Yes, I missed that. Probably because I have chosen not to go subscription... as you think most have done. As an original software purchaser, those options do not concern me, so it should not even show them on my account. That is what was confusing. As another has replied, that it would KILL my current perpetual offer and force me to a subscription! Confusing or just clever "bait and switch"? Other software owners should BEWARE!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention that the offers below were for "subscription".
Old 05-05-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The $299 option is a bait and switch to a subscription and may require you to surrender your current perpetual license if you choose it.

All you should be seeking is a renewal of you "Update and Support Plan" for your perpetual license. That's $199 per year for Pro Tools Studio.

I believe the Avid webpage is unclear about this and I've read that something is being done to make simple renewals of a non-expired Update and Support Plan more clear and obvious.

Yes, and THANK YOU for this clear explanation! ihope others read this.
Old 05-05-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
FYI- Crossgrades that provided 2 years of discounted subscription when trading in your perpetual license were discontinued in Sep 2021.
Good to know. But if I mistakenly choose the $299 option (which is a pure subscription) instead of the $199 renew option (because I have a perp license with current update and support plan), what happens to my perp license, assuming I am a dumb*** and don't know any better? Given what you said I suspect I would still have it but the update and support plan would eventually expire. Correct?
Old 05-05-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Good to know. But if I mistakenly choose the $299 option (which is a pure subscription) instead of the $199 renew option (because I have a perp license with current update and support plan), what happens to my perp license, assuming I am a dumb*** and don't know any better? Given what you said I suspect I would still have it but the update and support plan would eventually expire. Correct?
The subscription is not a crossgrade, so you'd still have your perpetual license. If you let the Software Updates + Support Plan expire you could keep using your perpetual license with the PT version(s) already provided. Adding the subscription might make sense for other reasons, like you wanted to add a second PT system, wanted to get the Inner Circle content, etc.

P.S. You misspelled drumbeat.