Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Default Using ANY midicontroller as plugin controller in PT

Just wanted to let you guys and galls know that you can use the Korg nanokontrol2 (and any controller really) as a plugin/daw controller for pro tools, using the M audio-Keyboard protocol.

I have the 8 pots and the 8 faders mirrored (same midi CC), so i can use whichever i feel like. That still gives only 8 discrete controller options, would love to program the faders to use other midi cc, and thereby have a 16 CC controller, but the protocol only allows for a total of 8.

I also have plugin bank select (if your plugin has more than 8 knobs etc, you can bank up to control the other parameters).

On top of that i have a "plugin cycle" knob which cycles between the plugins on a given track and a "plugin edit" button that you press down once you have selected the righ plugin that you want to control.

...and stop/play/rec of course.

I dont care for fader/pan control, and mainly use the controller to control the UAD space eche 201.

And you can go nuts with plugin control maps in pro tools if you want to reorder the order of controls that pro tools lays out on the controller.

Hope it makes sense. I have attached the file to this post.

On the nanokontrol2 the marker arrow buttons bank up/down.
The rewind button is "Plugin cycle".
Forward is "plugin select".
Remember that faders/panpots on the controller are mirrored.

When you connect to the controller via the "peripherals" page in pro tools, just select M audio Keyboard. and select the controller for in/out.

You will get an error message saying that the controller does not communicate with pro tools, just click "dont notify my again" or whatever is says...

Here is a screenshot of the midi CC. You could copy the settings to any controller really..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...l2/Screen1.png

Here is the file to load into the korg nanoKontrol2 software:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...03.nktrl2_data

Have a great day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 8.59.09 AM.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by the19thbear; 10-15-2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 10-15-2014, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Korg NanoKontrol2 as plugin controller in PT

Complete luddite here, so forgive me...

You've programmed this driver yourself?

It doesn't look like you've created a HUI profile, or is this essentially a driver for the Korg, rather than a new profile that Pro tools recognises?

I ask because I have the Avid branded - M-audio Axiom AIR mini32, which utilised Hypercontrol to communicate with Pro Tools.

Unfortunately, between taking my money, and the product arriving at my door, Avid sold M-audio.

They then released Pro Tools 11, which meant the Axiom AIR products were supported for 13 days, by the time the driver was released, and only on Pro Tools 10.

Of course, the next bug-fix dot release of Pro Tools 10 broke compatibility with the Axiom, and there is now no driver for it at all (though there is now a driver that works with the three larger Axiom AIR keyboards, and PT11).

I'm wondering if I can achieve what you have, in order to make the AIR Mini32 work with Pro Tools 11.

On the few plug-ins that support MIDI learn (basically, Instruments only) you can twiddle the knobs to your hears content - though you have to go through the hassle of assigning everything manually for each instrument.

Getting it to work with regular plug-ins, as well as faders, pans, transport etc would be fantastic - though really something that Avid & M-Audio ought to coordinate between themselves.

If you can give me any pointers, much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:43 AM

Hi. The file is for loading into the korg nanokontrol2 software and transferring to the controller. But you can set up your own controller (i assume) to send whatever midi you want. Have a look at the picture.
The pots and faders have different values (midi CC). Just make sure your controller is sending the same values.
You will need the values that are at the rewind/forward buttons, and for the "marker" arrows as well.
The following midi CC:
33-44=pots.
17-24=Faders
75=PluginCycle
57=Plugin Select
76=Bank down
77=Bank Up

Basically make sure that all those values are being sent by the controller, by using the software editor (if available) for your controller.

Now you should be able to control basic fade/pan in pro tools via the M audio Keyboard protocol (selected under preferences/peripherals, in pro tools).

To edit a plugin, click a track with a plugin on it. Press Plugin cycle. Press PluginSelect. twist knobs till you die:)

Makes sense?

Here are some other values that i didnt use, but will be recognized:

12 – mute selected track
13 – solo selected track
14 – move bank left
15 – move bank right

41 – master fader

49 thru 56 – ????

109 – Mode button
110 – Prev track
111 – Next track

113 – Loop button
114 – Rewind
115 – Fast Forward
116 – Stop
117 – Play
118 – Record
Old 10-15-2014, 07:18 AM

Cheers!

Yeah, that was my concern - that it's software / programability within your Korg that's the solution.

There's no facility (that I'm aware) that allows you to determine which controllers on the Axiom AIR Mini32, are outputting which MIDI Continuous Controller numbers / values - it's all hardwired.

Of course MIDI learn works within some plug-ins, but that doesn't allow for control over Pro Tools itself.

I'll have a hunt around, and see if I can modify CC output on the Mini32, and hopefully put your info to good use - but I have a horrible feeling that I'm still at the mercy of Avid / InMusic / M-Audio.

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Using ANY midicontroller as plugin controller in PT

Just did a quick google and it seems that you can edit the CC values from within the controller ( a pain, yes!)... It seems like that anyway.
If that doesnt work there is BOME midi editor or whatever it is called. It can take incoming midi messages and translate them into new ones. There is a trial version somewhere.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 AM

Good to know about the Korg.
BTW your dropbox link is not working here. Just getting some sort of mini graphic symbols.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 AM

Did you open it up in the nanokontrol2 software?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
Did you open it up in the nanokontrol2 software?
Ah sorry … no i dont have the software.
I just thought it was a file to download. I,m interested in the Korg Taktile and thought it may be useful somehow.
Can i assume the Taktile will work the same way. Actually on the Korg site it says PT10 only for their in built software.
Also what version of Pro tools are you on?

I,m the same as Carl ..stuck on PT10 with the Axiom pro.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:18 AM

It doesnt matter what version of pro tools you use, as long as its a version that has the M audio Keyboard protocol.

I know PT 10.X and PT 11 has it. I even think PT 8 has is, but not sure.

As long as your have a controller where you can edit the CC etc, and use it with a version of PT that supports M audio keyboard, it will work. Doesnt matter what controller. As long as it spits out midi.

You can just use the software editor for the taktile and you are good to go.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 PM

^^ Nice one