Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Guitar Rig 2, vs. Waves GTR, vs. Tonelab

I have 3 modeling boxes right now (Tonelab, PODxt, and VAMP2), and I'd LOVE to get rid of them all & have just one really great guitar modeling package. For my tastes, I like the Tonelab the best of the 3 boxes, so how do Guitar Rig 2 & Waves GTR actually sound? I have to say, the DVD of Waves GTR is really disappointing in guitar tones, EXCEPT for the intro to Paul Reed Smith's discussion on the hardware interface. Except for that section, I didn't hear anything I thought was as good as the Tonelab.

Anyone have insights on how Guitar Rig 2 sounds, and interfaces with Pro Tools?

What I LIKE about Guitar Rig 2, is the easy split function for 2 amps (not just 2 cabs like Waves GTR). It's just not clear how Guitar Rig 2 interfaces with Pro Tools, especially with that hardware. You still need a DI box right?

And of course, I'm still looking for a software package that sounds good, but the demo sounds, for neither package, convince me.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Guitar Rig 2, vs. Waves GTR, vs. Tonelab

I have the same question, but I'd also like to add Amplitube and and the soon to be released Amplitube 2 to the mix. Any opinions?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:48 PM

There's an ENORMOUS variety of styles and tastes when it comes to amp model software and hardware. What's perfect for you, might sound awful to someone else. There's no "best" solution. I think you need to try the various products out, and see what appeals to you, for the type of music you're doing. There's a universe of different electric guitar sounds. Some of these things are getting quite inexpensive, so you might want to have more than one. NI's Guitar Rig 2 is part of the Komplete 3 bundle for 2006.

Beyond that, some of these products have a LOT more models under the hood than others. For instance, the Pod Pro XT, with the three additional model packs, is up to around 70 different models. That's a lot of variety.

Lee Blaske
Old 12-29-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
There's an ENORMOUS variety of styles and tastes when it comes to amp model software and hardware.
Of course. What I meant to imply is that I'm looking for a software version of what I get with the Tonelab. The Tonelab is my benchmark as far as modelers go.

I'm going thru the demo of Guitar Rig 2, and out of all those presets I can't find hardly anything I want to play thru. I'll work with making custom patches of course. You'd think if preset storage isn't a problem, they'd have a Van Halen 1 setting, a U2 "Streets have no name", a Green Day "Blvd of Broken Dreams", etc., etc..... Yes of course guitarist & pickups make a huge difference between settings, but the point of a demo is to sell a product, and in the midst of all the flexible patches, there needs to be some basic playable good sounds there.

Maybe I'm just missing them though - totally open to operator error here.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:32 PM

Farmer boy
I have used them all. Very extensively. From amplitube, GR, Amp FArm etc. Nothing matches the feel and sound of the Tonelab. Nothing. My PodXt with all the factory patches upgrades and version 2 of the firmware is a distant second. The Tonelab got modelling right. Everything else, while useable, doesn't match the TL. I use a special splitter (Radial JDV-1) to record both the TL signal and the dry signal processed thru modelling software and only the TL does justice. There is this fizz and unvarying sound that software does that the TL seems free of.

Having said that, I changed my chain as follows: Gibson LP - Chandler LTD-1 - Mesa Boogie Rectifer Recording Preamp - Sequis Motherload. This combination makes the TL sound like a toy. And I loved the Tonelab for 2 years. Not a cheap alternative but The variety of sounds thru the Mesa and Motherload make your neck hairs stand up. I still use the TL for doubles because it adds an additional tone that is complimetary.

Sorry to the software lovers. Its not there. Not yet. Not when you bang a power chord thru the mesa and hear it pulsing and wavering and then you hear software sounding rather plain, you will see why guitarists want a real amp/cab. My chain above is the closest I've come.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 12-29-2005, 05:56 PM

Farmer Dave - I have not heard Tonelab, and I'm not a guitarist, but I work with some well known guys - who wouldn't give up their amps unless they were 100% comfortable...

We've been loving GTR (the TDM version) for a combination of reasons...

1. the PRS interface. It works. It does its job. Could you use another impedance matching DI? Of course. But part of the value of GTR is I now have a box that works well for bringing a guitar or bass in direct... better than any D/I or pre that I've used before.

2. TDM -- when tracking, I usually run hardware buffer at 128, and the guitarists have no perceptible delay. it simply feels great and it's easy to play.

3. the waves pedals. some are better than others... but there's a big list.

4. the waves presets. great starting points...

The guys I work with are less interested in modeling the sound of the XYZ amp, rather, they simply want it to feel right. We all feel that GTR gives us enough options and parameters to get there, quickly.

Now, the negatives...

1. Use a power supply for the PRS box. It's a very ugly sound when the batteries die.

2. DSP -- it uses quite a bit. and the pedals use dsp as well... On one tune with double tracked rhythm, a lead and a clean track (4 mono tracks) - that can use 3 or 4 chips. I typically print all the GTR tracks down after editing, to free up the 4 chips. Then "disable" the original tracks to free up DSP -- I can always get it back if needed at the mix.

3. (this goes for all software amp plugs and anytime a guitarist is not in the room with his amp) - there's something about the guitar amp's speaker and how the instrument interacts with it that must be emulated in the control room... my solution is to pan the guitar hard left (or wherever the player is) and put the music on the right. Another time, I put the music into a headphone amp for everyone in the CR, and the only thing coming out of the mains was the guitar... this is not rocket science.

I think you should try to demo the GTR w/ the PRS box. You may like it.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:44 PM

I've never used Tonelab but I have all the rest and hands down the Waves G.T.R wins my vote.
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Guitar Rig 2, vs. Waves GTR, vs. Tonelab *DELETED*

Post deleted by francois
Old 12-29-2005, 08:28 PM

I had a spare pwr supply from a Linksys router that I retired... but the power supply was fine... and just hapened to be the exact specs that I needed. I'm pretty sure it was 12v DC - and the plug fit fine. I have a few dozen pwr supplies in a box from retired hardware... you never know when you're going to need one...
Old 12-30-2005, 01:41 PM

This is out of the User's Manual:

We Recommend:
Use only UL Listed Class 2 power adapter.
Input: 100-240V , 50-60Hz; Output: 12-18 VDC, 0.5A Max
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface