Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-25-2023, 02:26 AM

Default ProTools not shutting down correctly

Hello,

I seem to be having issues with Protools Studio not allowing my Mac computer to shut down correctly. I've looked on the forums but see nothing of this issue.

I quit protools and the Mac will restart instead of shutting down, at which time I can then shut down. I am not sure what is causing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using Protools 2023.3 with an apogee Duet 2 Mac OS Ventura / Mac Studio silicon.

thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:24 AM

Default Re: ProTools not shutting down correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiea View Post
Hello,

I seem to be having issues with Protools Studio not allowing my Mac computer to shut down correctly. I've looked on the forums but see nothing of this issue.

I quit protools and the Mac will restart instead of shutting down, at which time I can then shut down. I am not sure what is causing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using Protools 2023.3 with an apogee Duet 2 Mac OS Ventura / Mac Studio silicon.

thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.
You should make sure that Pro Tools is actually quitting and hasn’t just stopped responding as an application. There are known issues with Pro Tools not quitting properly.

If you’re trying to shutdown your computer before Pro Tools has actually quit, this may be the reason for the restart.

When quitting Pro Tools make sure it hasn’t stalled by opening the Force Quit window. OPT+CMD+ESC. You’ll probably need to force quit the application. Then you can shut down the computer.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:15 PM

thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I will try that.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:43 AM

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=424735

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 05-30-2023, 01:46 AM

thank you Stephen. I am still having the issue but it seems to be a well known issue that I am sure will be resolved in time.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiea View Post
thank you Stephen. I am still having the issue but it seems to be a well known issue that I am sure will be resolved in time.
Yes indeed.

There are a few well-know issues which are not disastrous but have rumbled on over decades (such as EA problems, AAE/DAE errors etc). This is not a poke at Avid type comment as these problems are common to any manufacturing of a ecosystem. The best companies reward their employees generously and develop people assets to maturity as well as their products.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 05-30-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
The best companies reward their employees generously and develop people assets to maturity as well as their products.
excellent observation. worth repeating until it sinks in.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:53 AM

I have the same problem, but I found a workaround that seems to do it for me. Before I quit, I load up a very simple session and quit from there.
Old 06-03-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
I have the same problem, but I found a workaround that seems to do it for me. Before I quit, I load up a very simple session and quit from there.
hmmm... wouldn't this suggest, to you, that there is likely something in your session that is causing the issue? perhaps it might be worth making a copy of the session and start eliminating things, perhaps starting with your plugins.

just a thought...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 06-03-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Sounds logical for me, and the slightly annoying problems I've had w/PT the last couple of years.

My issues have been PT crashing on quit, and throwing a "AAE is running out of memory" error on playback. Both seemed to come after having open large-but-not-very-large sessions for a long time, sometimes days.

When you load a small session, PT/AAE clears the memory of earlier session, and I guess that fixes it. So, I'm thinking it's a memory management problem.

Luckily, I haven't seen the two issues after upgrading to M2, Ventura, and PT23.3. But I haven't been pushing it much.