How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Default Using ANY midicontroller as plugin controller in PT

Just wanted to let you guys and galls know that you can use the Korg nanokontrol2 (and any controller really) as a plugin/daw controller for pro tools, using the M audio-Keyboard protocol.

I have the 8 pots and the 8 faders mirrored (same midi CC), so i can use whichever i feel like. That still gives only 8 discrete controller options, would love to program the faders to use other midi cc, and thereby have a 16 CC controller, but the protocol only allows for a total of 8.

I also have plugin bank select (if your plugin has more than 8 knobs etc, you can bank up to control the other parameters).

On top of that i have a "plugin cycle" knob which cycles between the plugins on a given track and a "plugin edit" button that you press down once you have selected the righ plugin that you want to control.

...and stop/play/rec of course.

I dont care for fader/pan control, and mainly use the controller to control the UAD space eche 201.

And you can go nuts with plugin control maps in pro tools if you want to reorder the order of controls that pro tools lays out on the controller.

Hope it makes sense. I have attached the file to this post.

On the nanokontrol2 the marker arrow buttons bank up/down.
The rewind button is "Plugin cycle".
Forward is "plugin select".
Remember that faders/panpots on the controller are mirrored.

When you connect to the controller via the "peripherals" page in pro tools, just select M audio Keyboard. and select the controller for in/out.

You will get an error message saying that the controller does not communicate with pro tools, just click "dont notify my again" or whatever is says...

Here is a screenshot of the midi CC. You could copy the settings to any controller really..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...l2/Screen1.png

Here is the file to load into the korg nanoKontrol2 software:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...03.nktrl2_data

Have a great day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 8.59.09 AM.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by the19thbear; 10-15-2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: corrections