Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2003, 02:38 PM

Default basic theory question mixers/protools recording/effect units

Hi Yall,
This is a pretty basic concept/question that I am having a little trouble understanding. For the sake of this question, I have protools digi 001 and a mixer with reverb and effects. Here is a basic scenario that will help me understand recording a little better:

Say I recorded a guitar part into protools, but recorded it dry. Now say I really want some reverb and want to use the reverb on my mxer. Do I use a "send"? Basically, how do I output if from the protools to my mixer and back without loosing any time or creating any latency? How would this work if I had an external effects unit? Do i have to record the version with reverb again as it comes back into the program? Can I do this non-destructively?

Thanks so much-
Mike
Old 06-18-2003, 05:18 PM

Default Re: basic theory question mixers/protools recording/effect units

You can create an FX Loop using your current hardware. I use this trick when running pre-recorded audio through some of my outboard gear.

1) In order to do this you'll need to open a new audio track in your session, we'll call it Guitar Track 2.

2) Connect a cable from one of the outputs (for example we'll say Out 3) to the input of your mixer.

3) Connect another cable from the output of your mixer to one of your Inputs (we'll say Input 1).

4) On your initial "dry " guitar track (guitar track 1) change output channel (default is usually 1-2) to Out 3 or Out 3-4.

5) On the the new track that you just created, set the Input to Input 1.

6) Select "record" on Guitar Track 2, and then initiate the recording.

Basically the track is going out of your 001 into the mixer and then back into the 001.

If latency is a problem...

Zoom in fully to the beginning of each guitar track, and using the Nudge Tool, move Guitar Track 2 so that it lines up where Guitar Track 1 begins.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:41 PM

Ok-
Cool, this does help. How will I be able to hear if there is latency? Obviously if it sounds "off" there is latency, but what would I need to nudge it... as in, how would I know a numerical value?

So this is what they call an effects loop?
How does it work on a guitar amp, the same way? Why would there even be one on a guitar amp, I have one on my fender delux reverb.

Thanks so much!
PEACE
M.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:30 AM

there will definitely be latency, just zoom in as mentioned above and nudge back to the left to align the new signal with the original one.

cheers

jorge

www.abacomusic.com