Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-15-2002, 07:33 PM

Default What happened to Toolbox?

Just went shopping to equip a small edit suite at the radio stations I work for. I wanted to pick up a ToolboxXP package since we've had such good luck with them both in another edit suite and in my home studio (our main rooms are PT24 and an older PTIII)
The dealer tells me it's discontinued. Now I know the AMIII is an old card, but..the package was great for broadcast applications!

Had to buy an 001...not that it's really bad...but i/o wise it's kind of overkill for broadcast production work.

Question for digi: Will future upgrades for PTle work on the AMII card..or am I now stuck with two systems that won't be able to take advantage of winXP or upcoming avi support?

Say it ain't so....
Old 02-16-2002, 05:32 AM

Default Re: What happened to Toolbox?

Future Pro Tools releases as it seems now suppose to support the AM3. (Digi told they would provide support for XP in next release)
It's not yet worthless [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2002, 06:38 AM

If you want to buy an AMIII card, its best to search the net. I think they are cheap on the internet. And if they dont have ptle included. you can buy that for $50 from digidesign. (go to the digistore website...)

a search on ebay gave this: from 26$ till 200$ (keyword audiomedia)

Bastiaan
Old 02-16-2002, 09:33 AM

One could always just wait for the Mbox too.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:51 AM

I was just checking out the product listing on the Digidesign Home Page. No mention there that a AMIII even exists! Since it's got the same I/O capabilities as the AMIII, I assume that Digi has dropped the AMIII altogether in favor of their new baby, the M-Box.

Time marches on...

Mike [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 02-17-2002, 12:46 AM

The m-box has different capabilities. The m-box has mic pre-amps and headphone-jacks and a volume control and inserts and zero latency-mode. The amiii has 4 discrete in/outputs as the mbox only has 2...

Bastiaan
Old 02-17-2002, 10:53 AM

Thanks all for responding. As far as the AMIII on ebay, I have seen them at pretty good prices..unfortunately it's hard to get a major company to buy used stuff...we already bought the 001 for the studio in question anyway. What's puzzling is that Digi abandoned the card. When I found out the Toolbox was no longer available thru our usual supplier (Parsons Audio In Boston) I went looking to some of the other local sources like Guitar Center, Mars and the like...they were all sold out. Strange that such a seemingly popular product has been eliminated. As was said above though..."time marches on".
Really glad to hear that the card will be supported in future upgrades though...as I said originally, it's really great for broadcast applications with just enough i/o.
Now I just need to upgrade to a faster processor and hoefully soon XP. Betcha I'll have some further questions down the road.

Thanks again.

Chuck D