Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 PM

Default "Mute Safing" the Mains

I got this idea from the IdeaScale site. Tried it out, and it works great.

Here is the deal, I'm doing some "complex" routing on my desk at the church I'm at. I have the mains bus feeding a couple of Matricies and PQ's which in turn is actually driving various zones of the PA. I've had this fear of someone (not necessarily myself, but someone in the volunteer pool) accidentky muting one of those critical busses. Some on them get mute-button happy on occasion. I didn't want them muting something because they didn't know any better.

Basically, what I did was I created an event that anytime either the mains, one of the PQ's or Matricies which is feeding the PA was muted, to instantly "unmute" all corresponding outputs. Works great. If you ever decide you want to override that, you will just have to disable the event.

I would like to allow this to happen only when show mode is enabled, but have not had much luck activating "Show Mode Active" from the "triggers" pane. Any ideas? I believe I am using the "OR" option.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Re: "Mute Safing" the Mains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post

Basically, what I did was I created an event that anytime either the mains, one of the PQ's or Matricies which is feeding the PA was muted, to instantly "unmute" all corresponding outputs. Works great. If you ever decide you want to override that, you will just have to disable the event.
I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying here... When someone mutes your mains, the event instantly unmutes it? And when someone mutes a PQ (that drives the PA) it instantly unmutes that PQ?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 AM

Yeap. That is it

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Avid

Hi Ken,

Try creating separate events for each bus you don't want muted (one for Mains, one for PQ) etc. and set the Triggers as folllows:
  • <output bus x>, Channel Mute, On
  • Show Mode Active

And use the AND operator. This enforces the condition "if output bus is muted while in show mode, do the action..."

Sheldon
Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Thanks, Sheldon. I will give that a whirl. Could you mind clarifying on the differences between "OR" and "XOR?" I'm guessing with "AND" set, both triggers have to be true in order for the event to procede.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Avid

hi Ken,

XOR is a logic argument that says "if one or the other is true, but not both" then the trigger is considered valid and the action will occur. Compare this to a regular OR operator, which simply says "if either condition is true" and doesn't care if both conditions are true.

Sheldon