Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Default Importing many session files to make a new long session

Hi everyone! I have some session files that are one track (sometimes two, but mostly one). These files are 5-45 minutes long. what I'd like to do is combine a bunch of them consecutively to make one long file that is several hours long. What I've done is to import the smaller files into a new session. It makes a new track and then I cut and paste the new session data to the first track. This takes a really long time, both the importing and the cutting and pasting. I was wondering if there was a way to somehow select multiple session datas to import all at once to a new file and to import tham onto one track so that they are consecutive. Or if there was some other quick way to import session data into a new session and make all the files into one track.

Hope my question is clear and that someone knows a quick way for me to do this.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Importing many session files to make a new long session

Do the playlists in each session have multiple clips, or are they one contiguous audio file? If they are all one contiguous region/audio file (oops, i mean clip), just drag them from the finder onto the final destination session in shuffle mode, that will butt all of them end to beginning. (set your drag order to "one after another"(lingo not exact)
If the source files are short regions strung together(and actuall separate regions, then you should see them numbered sequentially in the audio files folder. set your drag order to "one after another" in the clip list prefs, and (i think) if you drag all of them into the destination session , they will end up ordered sequentially by there number.
make sense?
If they are separated clips of one or more audio files (which were edited and now may be out of order)then you could consolidate them in each session file, so they show up in the finder (or digi base) as one file...
hope this helped!

Mac Pro:
PT 11.3.2 HD native, MIDI IO, 96IO
Mac Pro Desktop 4,1 osx 10.11.6., 8 Core 2.26GHz 2009 Intel Xeon MB535LL/A 16GB RAM 640GB HD ATI 4870
-----
MBP:
OS 10.11.6, MacBookPro 5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Memory: 8 GB Bus Speed:1.07 GHz, Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06, SMC Version (system):1.33f8
Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Avid

I wasn't sure if you're using Pro Tools HD or not, but if you are, you can drag session files on to the timeline to get the import session dialog, then if your sessions use the same name for the tracks, you can hit the "Match tracks" button to overlay the incoming session's tracks on to the existing session (otherwise you can manually choose which tracks are overlayed where). Likewise, the "Offset Track Options" lets you choose the time position that the incoming tracks are overlayed, so you can have them land one after another.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Oh thanks. What I ended up doing was I made a second audio track and imported the new files to the new audio track, which takes just a few seconds. I adjusted the time so that the new track started just after the old track ended. then I selected all of the new track and slid it up. It was done instantly.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Thumbs up Re: Importing many session files to make a new long session

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
I wasn't sure if you're using Pro Tools HD or not, but if you are, you can drag session files on to the timeline to get the import session dialog, then if your sessions use the same name for the tracks, you can hit the "Match tracks" button to overlay the incoming session's tracks on to the existing session (otherwise you can manually choose which tracks are overlayed where). Likewise, the "Offset Track Options" lets you choose the time position that the incoming tracks are overlayed, so you can have them land one after another.
Good tip!
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio