Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2008, 02:59 PM

Default getting error message during playback

Help Needed:

I’m a voice-over actress. I have just started using my new Pro Tools software. I’m using 7.3. When I attempt to play back what I just recorded I get the following message:

Operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine panel (-6086)

I increased the Buffer size and this did not help. When I press playback sometimes it will play the entire track (approx. two minutes). Sometimes the “Interrupts” sign displays after ten seconds. Other times the message comes on after 40 seconds. There is no consistent pattern in the amount of time it plays.

1. I have a new home edition Dell PC with XP. Basic spec on my PC is:

P4
3.5gb
2gb ram
Integrated Video
80gb main drive
250gb record drive (16mb cache/7200rpm)
Win XP Home/SP2
Pro-Tools 7.3 on M-Box Mini

2. A second hard drive is installed: SATA, Western Digital Sea Gate with
80 gb; 7200 RPM; 16 mgb cache

3. I have tried the following to solve the problem:
A. Checked for Dell PC compatibility
B. Increased Buffer size in the Playback Engine panel
C. There are no games loaded on my PC
D. Everything is plugged into USB so unplugged printer, keyboard (only extras plugged in)
E. Have AVG antivirus system
F. Internet is not on when recording
G. Ran a check for bad RAM
None of the above problem solving attempts affected the playbacks. There is still an erratic pattern to when the system stops and displays the error message. I need your help solving this problem. I’m a newbie so any suggestions need to be given to me step by step.
Thanks for your help,

BR9A4
Old 01-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Re: getting error message during playback

First, it would be better for you to post this question over in the LE for windows section. You will have better luck getting answers to PC specific questions over there.

Next, you should read through the General Troubleshooting post that is located there, paying special attention to the Compatibility information, and also following the instructions at the end for posting the information that we will need to help you. On a quick glance I can tell you that integrated video is not supported or recommended, so you might need to obtain a new computer. There are quite a few other suggestions that I can make for using the mbox mini, but I would need to know the specifics about your computer for them to be accurate and applicable.

Last, welcome to the wonderful world of Pro Tools.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-14-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Re: getting error message during playback

Thanks for the suggestions.
BR9A4