Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 11:44 AM

Default multiple headphones?

How can I run more than two sets of headphones from the Digi 002 Factory Bundle? I'm using a headphone splitter to run two at the moment but i want to run three. Help?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Re: multiple headphones?

Something like this from ART.
Behringer makes a little headphone amp thing as well, but I've only ever used the ART box for this.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:06 PM

Do you want the ability to create multiple headphone mixes, or just a copy of the stereo bus only?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 PM

The behringer cheapy headphone amp sux. It's really plasticy and cheap, the cheapy samson is OK but as per the earlier post i would go for the art.

Cheers
Old 02-26-2008, 02:05 PM

The Behringer HA4700 is the best bang for the buck. It has a master input and 4 sections. Each section gets the master feed PLUS another input so you can use outputs from your 002/003 to add "more me" to each of the 4 sections. A well-spent $100 in my book.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 PM

hey guys! watned to ask pretty much the same question. I am tracking multiple people realtime for the first time with the digi 002 and the three musicians all want separate headphone mixes. I created three separate stero masters and am using sends from each track so i can control individual instrument vol level for each mix. Im trying to bypass buying a headphone amp for now since i have a Mackie 12 channel mixer layin around. so i figured i could make spearate mixes through there, but im unable to get a stereo signal to the live room for each headphone. It comes through very weak on the left channel and it's rackin my brain. SO, i'm going out of the Digi 002 3-4 into line 1 and 2 on the mixer and then out the phones jack on the Mixer for one headphone mix. im lost, but i heard this can be done. Any help would be much appreciated as they'll be back in on Sun..

thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
The Behringer HA4700 is the best bang for the buck. It has a master input and 4 sections. Each section gets the master feed PLUS another input so you can use outputs from your 002/003 to add "more me" to each of the 4 sections. A well-spent $100 in my book.
I also own the HA4700 and it's perfect for tracking. Versatile, well built, and very inexpensive. By far the best deal out there.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:57 AM

There are various ways to accomplish this---I'll use the traditonal method, and then a spin on how I do it. On a traditional console, you create a headphone mix with the use of AUX's set to PRE FADER LEVEL. For illustration sake, I'm going to work with (8) TRACKS and (4) HEADPHONE MIXES:

TRACK 1- BASS GUITAR
TRACK 2- LEAD VOCAL
TRACK 3- ACOUSTIC GUITAR
TRACK 4- KICK DRUM
TRACK 5- SNARE DRUM
TRACK 6- OVERHEADS L
TRACK 7- OVERHEADS R
TRACK 8- CLICK

So again using a traditional console and using the tracks as channels, let's say the Bass Player wants to hear lots of kick, a little snare, some overheads and the click only. So let' pick an Aux Send, say AUX1 for the Bass Player. On the back of the console, you need to route the AUX1 output of the console into a headphone amp that has multiple inputs as opposed to only a L/R input. Let's assign AUX2 for the Guitarist, Aux3 for the Vocalist and Aux4 for the drummer. So for the bass player who wants that above mix, you go to the AUX1 knob on each audio channel and adjust the levels with the knobs to the desired mix. If you turn the Kick ALL the way up on AUX1 on CHANNEL/TRACK1---it will be cranked up into his headphone mix. You can typically listen to an Aux Monitor on most consoles. So now the Drummer just wants his drums and bass, but he wants lots of overheads, lots of click and a little vocals. So on his Aux3 knob on each of those channels, you adjust the levels to what they/you want.

NOW LET'S USE THIS ILLUSTRATION in the ProTools mixer. It really is exactly the same, only it's all on-screen. But what I do is when I assign an Aux to a headphone bus, I don't just assign that directly to an output but rather to a physical FADER/BUS first. This allows me to then provide things such as reverb, delay, etc directly to their whole bus, to have a direct control over the overall volume, the ability to mix busses together for a quicker monitor bus, the ability to easy listen through my studio monitors what they are hearing, and so forth.

So you'll need a headphone amp that is capable of the following:

Has a L/R INPUT for the ability to add either a "more me" to the already included mix, or for when you just need a stereo mix only.

Has individual inputs for each mix

Has the ability to provide FULL power when multiple headphones are plugged in, this is a major issue for cheaper headphone amps

Follow these steps, you should be fine. Does this help?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks Brad!! That clarifies things. With your advice after another try at it i think i got everything right but have discovered i may need to get a headphone mixer after all. I have no way to route the individual Aux outputs to headphones. Technically i thought assigning outputs 3-4 on the Digi 002 and then running them into to separate channels on my Mackie mixer would produce a summed up stereo mix which i could then route out of the mixer to the control room using one cable from the mixer to the live room.
So what do you recomend for a nice headphone mixer? Talkback capability is needed as well, i do't want to skimp out on this so i'm willing to spend a little.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 AM

Well for something affordable, I like the Samson S-Phones.... you have a stereo in, but also the more-me channels and with EQ on them. But for a higher quality audio signal and gain to the cans, the new Presonus MP60 (?) is quite nice! I've been meaning to order one, but my new studio isn't fully done yet so that's my excuse.