Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-11-2021, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Too Many Tracks

JFreak already answered this, but just to be clear, the behavior of whether inactive tracks play against the number of tracks you can have in your session is dependent on what version of Pro Tools you have. Pro Tools Vanilla still counts inactive tracks. Pro Tools Ultimate does not count your inactive tracks as part of the track limits.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 06-11-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I am thinking first 128 are swlected, rest ignored. Just like first 32 i/o are automatically selected when you use Core Audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FYI, from what I have seen, I use both Ultimate and regular, if you open an Ultimate session in regular with more than 128, it will delete the tracks above the 128. So don’t open and then hit save. I may stand corrected, but this is what I have encountered last year working on a large project. Personally I think this is stupid and dangerous to a project.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackone View Post
FYI, from what I have seen, I use both Ultimate and regular, if you open an Ultimate session in regular with more than 128, it will delete the tracks above the 128. So don’t open and then hit save. I may stand corrected, but this is what I have encountered last year working on a large project. Personally I think this is stupid and dangerous to a project.

Agreed, especially at the time when memory, fast disk space, CPU cores are plentiful & inexpensive (PT is the only DAW as far as I know that does this). Avid's messaging (warning) about this change has also been non-existent . What is the way to access those inaccessible tracks when somebody has a need for them?
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 06-17-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo Nuori View Post
What is the way to access those inaccessible tracks when somebody has a need for them?
As to get them back I only see 2 options. First off I got a session with a little over 70 tracks to mix. For whatever reason, a lot of tracks were sent in stereo so I had more than 64 voices(@96k). I got a dialog warning that some tracks would be inactive and not play back. I also got another project to mix that had over 140 tracks, all mono. This time I got a dialog stating that I had more tracks than allowed(not voices)and the tracks would be deleted. So here all tracks above 128 were removed from the session. I closed the session without saving, inserted my HD iLok and it opened with no issues. Had I saved the session the tracks would be gone. As to get them back either restore from a backup or remember what you had on each track.

Last edited by trackone; 06-17-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackone View Post
As to get them back either restore from a backup or remember what you had on each track.

Thanks a lot! You mean that you'd create an empty session and then import the inaccessible tracks (as well as you remember which ones they were) into that? Import does not enforce the 128 limit on source sessions?

Which version of PT did introduce this the first time? Installing the version before that (assuming it still works on the latest OS) could be a solution, too. Sorry, it should be Avid providing us clear instructions on these issues
StudioOne + Cubase (+ Pro Tools for simpler old stuff)
Old 06-19-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niilo Nuori View Post
Thanks a lot! You mean that you'd create an empty session and then import the inaccessible tracks (as well as you remember which ones they were) into that? Import does not enforce the 128 limit on source sessions?

Which version of PT did introduce this the first time? Installing the version before that (assuming it still works on the latest OS) could be a solution, too. Sorry, it should be Avid providing us clear instructions on these issues
No, I was being sarcastic about remembering the tracks. It doesn't matter if you try to import more than 128 or open an Ultimate session with 128, you are capped at 128 tracks. You can't import more than 128. In my original post I was mentioning to be careful that if you open an Ultimate session with more than 128 with regular, those tracks above 128 are deleted and you can't get them back if you save the session.

You do get a dialog to save a report of the deleted tracks, but I have never done that as I don't want to loose them. The studio I work at has regular and I have a license for Ultimate. When we get in this situation, we close without saving, then just switch to the iLok with Ultimate and open the session. As to what version this started I do not know.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:01 AM

Hopefully this helps:

Increased Voice, Track and I/O Limit For Pro Tools Ultimate and Pro Tools Standard
The big news here is that for software-only Pro Tools systems, both Ultimate and Standard, the I/O limit has been raised from 32 to 64. This removes a long-standing source of complaint from many users. HDX and HD Native users (meaning the hardware HD Native PCIe card or Thunderbolt box) and users of Avid’s live sound products have previously been the only people who can exceed 32 inputs and outputs. While still restricted to 64 I/O, there will be far fewer scenarios in which the I/O limit presents an issue than would be the case at 32 I/O.

Another benefit to Non HDX users is that the track limit for Pro Tools Standard has been doubled to 256 and importantly all of those tracks are fully voiced at all sample rates. Users of standard Pro Tools systems don’t have to think in terms of voices. They have 256 tracks, mono or stereo.

As previously reported, with the huge upgrade that is the Hybrid Engine the voice count of Pro Tools Ultimate has been increased over 5x to 2048 voices. That’s 2.6 times the voices available in an HDX3 system. This Voice upgrade is a massive increase for all users, regardless of the system they currently have.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 06-24-2021, 09:55 AM

Here is another statement about the voice increase:

Record and mix bigger sessions with more I/O, tracks, and voices

Pro Tools and Pro Tools | Ultimate now support a maximum 64 channels of I/O—up from 32. Pro Tools now supports a maximum 256 mono or stereo audio tracks at all sample rates—up from 128 at 48 kHz. And Pro Tools | Ultimate now supports a maximum 2,048 voices and audio tracks at all sample rates—5x more than previous versions. This means you can track bigger sessions and work with a lot more outboard gear using any Core Audio or ASIO interface. And with more voices, you can handle the largest sessions without constraint.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 06-24-2021, 01:34 PM

Update: The new Pro Tools 2021.6 download allows for 256 tracks! That's gotta be enough for the project I'm working on, I'm surprised I even made it to 128
Old 06-24-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchmura View Post
At roughly 120 tracks, it looks like I've reached the limit. I get an error message: "Too many Tracks entered for the current Pro Tools configuration. The maximum value will be substituted."

Is there any way around this?
Pro Tools 2021.6 (released today) increased the voice count to 256 on standard Pro Tools (and to 2048 voices on Pro Tools Ultimate)