Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:26 PM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I never said it was. I had few issues with the 002/003, on Windows. My point was really more that PT 10/11 has been more stable with a 3rd party interface, again on Windows. At this point I would not invest in an HD system, nor would I move to a different OS. Simply no point in it, especially as Avid seems to be on an erratic course. I can stay with my PT11 HD license for the next 5 years, probably 7 or 8 if I move once on the next upgrade version. It all depends on what Avid does.
RME has software between the interface and ProTools (not just a driver). I used one for a short while but that alone was reason enough for me not to want to use it. It was like when I ran Cubase and whatever IO I was using at the time. Third party interfaces require proprietary software to work with every DAW that sits between the user and the DAW. How can that be a good thing? And stating that PT 10/11 is more stable with third party interfaces is not true. While it might be your experience that doesn't make it true for every one. ProTools is broken, even more so with 11.

Avid have been on an erratic course since PT 9 because they tried to please haters by allowing third party hardware support, but are now kinda sorta backtracking after it's too late and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.

ProTools is broken. The problem isn't what interface you use, it's because code put into the app to allow for use with anything but Avid designed IO is causing problems even with their proprietary hardware (in addition to new functionality and 64 bit environment, and AAX, and video engine, etc.). The problem is in ProTools. 11 wasn't and still isn't ready for use. They fix one thing and two others break. It's like a hanging mobile... it's all connected; you touch one piece and the rest move.

When I worked in QA and somebody would say "well, it's working over here..." when not working on another machine they would be chastised relentlessly because the program itself was not ready. It's no different in this case. It's the whole point to quality assurance and Avid, like many other developers, jumped the gun to hit a release date regardless of the functionality of the software. It's the worst part of software development.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:48 PM

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Pro Tools is not broken for me and RME is an excellent hardware option and is extremely stable, they know how to write drivers. Going back to a locked hardware/software system, as rosy as that might seem in hindsight, would be be the death knell forAvid. It ain't gonna happen.

Anyways what all this has to do with the new licensing scheme I don't know...
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 12-11-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Pro Tools is not broken for me and RME is an excellent hardware option and is extremely stable, they know how to write drivers. Going back to a locked hardware/software system, as rosy as that might seem in hindsight, would be be the death knell forAvid. It ain't gonna happen.

I agree. Metric halo also makes very good software/drivers. And how is that a good thing? Their console allows you to sum inside the MIO mixer with, in my opinion, a much better sounding 80-bit mix engine.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:

Precisely to all of that.

(one final bit of off topic - one good thing about PT11 vs PT10 is that PT10 always had this occasional propensity to not find certain files when loading, and want you to relink them in exactly the same location that they've always been. Never seen that on PT11. So for that, hooray).

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-11-2014, 01:52 AM

Yes, even files in the audio files folder can get lost in 10. That's the biggest problem I've had with 10.

Not longing for yesteryear. Longing for a stable ProTools that works. It's not just me by a long shot. It's not just Mac. It's not a clean build. And it's not worth $600 a year in its current state even with bend over backward support that may or may not exist. Perhaps if 11 were as stable as 8 there would be no upheaval on Avid's own user forum.

A company cannot market a product as "Avid Everywhere" if it doesn't work everywhere. It clearly doesn't. Yet. I'm sure at some point it will but not very soon.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 AM

For me, Pro Tools 11's biggest stability issue is AAX64 & 3rd party plug-ins (especially VI's). I'd really like to see an AAX validation utility (like Logic's AU Manager) to determine problem plug-ins. This alone would help identify whether the issue is plug-in or PT related (& perhaps convince a few 3rd party devs that actually there may be a problem with their AAX plugs).

These are the type of 'features' I'd like to see rolled out by Avid in the coming months…
Old 12-11-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::F-L-E-X:: View Post
For me, Pro Tools 11's biggest stability issue is AAX64 & 3rd party plug-ins (especially VI's). I'd really like to see an AAX validation utility (like Logic's AU Manager) to determine problem plug-ins. This alone would help identify whether the issue is plug-in or PT related (& perhaps convince a few 3rd party devs that actually there may be a problem with their AAX plugs).

These are the type of 'features' I'd like to see rolled out by Avid in the coming months…
+1 on an "AAX validation utility"...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
Arturia has just moved off the eLicenser to their own server-based system.

Serious???? How do you change it over....must investigate!!!
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Serious???? How do you change it over....must investigate!!!
I haven't done it yet, so let me know how it goes! :) From where I read, download the Arturia Software Center from Updates & Manuals.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:46 AM

So we're now about 2 weeks from december 31, I got this email from Avid:

"You only have a few weeks left to get up to 16 months* of future upgrades and extended support when you upgrade to Pro Tools® 11 or Pro Tools | HD 11—or, if you own Pro Tools 11, buy a renewable Pro Tools | Software annual upgrade and support plan (coming soon)."

Apparently it comes with a supercool activation card too but...............Thing is I already have Pro Tools 11 and I still don't know the terms of the "renewable annual ugrade and support plan"* because those terms are coming soon. When do they plan to let us know? December 30 perhaps with another "time is running out" email?

*the email clearly says: To be eligible for the extended Pro Tools | Software upgrade and support plan through March 31, 2016, you must either purchase and activate a Pro Tools 11/Pro Tools | HD 11 upgrade, or purchase and activate an annual upgrade and support plan for Pro Tools | Software, by December 31, 2014. Qualifying "upgrade" products include Pro Tools 9/10, Pro Tools | HD 9/10, Pro Tools with the Complete Production Toolkit, or Pro Tools LE (except Mbox 1st generation, and Digi 001), Pro Tools Express, or Pro Tools MP/M-Powered. Upgrades and support plans activated after December 31st will receive one year of upgrades and support from the time of purchase/activation.

It still doesn't say anything about those who already own PT 11. Except "coming soon".
Closed Thread