Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 08-05-2014, 02:16 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 trial activation filed

Hi!
I new in Pro Tools community. And I would easy start with demo version of Pro Tools 11. But I'm not lucky boy, I think.
I spent 48 euro for iLock bought. I activated trial licenses with iLock.
When I try activate Pro Tools 11 trial I get error message as imaged on picture below about License server Error!.

Result is:
- I spent money for iLock
- I tried activate Pro Tools 11 for the last night. I spent my own time for 5 hours at least for "dancing with a tambourine" around PT 11 activation. Yes! I googled about problem around internet. I reinstall iLock software 4 times!!! My iLock connected to my Mac Book pro directly!!! But I don't get positive result.
- Now I continue spent my work time (it means, that I lost my money!) and try to solve problem.

In this case I would like to ask ProTools community. Is ProTools really so terrible software and problem comes from the start?

Why I can't send e-mail to Avid support and why I must make payment ~$40 for "talking by phone" about trial version (I did not decide I will buy this software or not)? Does ProTools community think that this is adequate support position for their users?

Last and main question! How I can activate this is software?

Best regards
AlexSander
Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 trial activation filed

Have you installed the latest iLok License Manager software - you need that to make the iLok work. Have you properly setup an iLok.com account? You need to do that before activating the PT11 trial. And when setting and being asked for your account ID DO NOT use the serial number that's on the iLok. The account ID is something you make up yourself to identify yourself to the system. For example I used a name and number combo.

Most importantly - is your iLok plugged into a working, powered USB port? If you're on a current Mac they tend to have USB3 ports and those have been known to cause issues with iLoks that can be solved by using a powered USB hub between the iLok and the computer.

QAPLA!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have you installed the latest iLok License Manager software - you need that to make the iLok work. Have you properly setup an iLok.com account? You need to do that before activating the PT11 trial. And when setting and being asked for your account ID DO NOT use the serial number that's on the iLok. The account ID is something you make up yourself to identify yourself to the system. For example I used a name and number combo.

Most importantly - is your iLok plugged into a working, powered USB port? If you're on a current Mac they tend to have USB3 ports and those have been known to cause issues with iLoks that can be solved by using a powered USB hub between the iLok and the computer.
Hi musicman691!
Thank you for the answer.
I use latest iLok software. I downloaded it at evening, yesterday. Version of license manager is 2.3.1.1244.

And especially than you about problem description with USB3. I plug-in external powered USB hub and Pro Tools starts without any problem!

I think, PACE company must be closed and software engineers must looking for the other job. I think, that problem not in Mac's USB3 port, but with iLok chipset.

Anyway, thank you very much!
Good luck!

Best regards
Alex
Old 08-05-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSander View Post
Hi musicman691!
Thank you for the answer.
I use latest iLok software. I downloaded it at evening, yesterday. Version of license manager is 2.3.1.1244.

And especially than you about problem description with USB3. I plug-in external powered USB hub and Pro Tools starts without any problem!

I think, PACE company must be closed and software engineers must looking for the other job. I think, that problem not in Mac's USB3 port, but with iLok chipset.

Anyway, thank you very much!
Good luck!

Best regards
Alex
Glad the hub worked for you and no, it's not a problem with the iLok chipset but the USB spec itself. USB3 is supposed to be backwards compatible with USB2 equipment but as is often the case - that doesn't always happen. I think part of the problem actually lies with the USB3 connector being used with USB2 connectored parts - they're two different beasts.

QAPLA!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Glad the hub worked for you and no, it's not a problem with the iLok chipset but the USB spec itself. USB3 is supposed to be backwards compatible with USB2 equipment but as is often the case - that doesn't always happen. I think part of the problem actually lies with the USB3 connector being used with USB2 connectored parts - they're two different beasts.
May be you're right. But iLok engineers must been known about this problem. Isn't?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
May be you're right. But iLok engineers must been known about this problem. Isn't?
If there's a problem, I'm fairly certain it has everything to do with the cable in between...
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
They may know about it but it's not their issue to solve - they have nothing to do with the USB2 spec. iLok2 works perfectly fine on USB2.

QAPLA!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
They may know about it but it's not their issue to solve - they have nothing to do with the USB2 spec. iLok2 works perfectly fine on USB2.
Nor USB3 spec, because USB3 should be backwards compatible with USB2/USB1 and USB2 should be backwards compatible with USB1.

USB3 might be finally up to FW400 at least, but to very least it should behave well with older USB interfaces.

(the pun here is that USB2 = 480 and FW400 = 400 but in real life FW beats USB2 anytime, at least whenever audio recording is concerned. USB3 might just finally beat first-generation FW400 in real life)