Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2022, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Say what now...? I am using HD Native and don't use Flex. It works fine. What's this about HD Native users needing Flex?
Pro Tools Flex is just the top tier 'bundle' and includes a Pro Tools Ultimate subscription. It would have been more accurate to have said "HD Native users need Pro Tools Ultimate" (so... no change for you).
Old 04-27-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Pro Tools Flex is just the top tier 'bundle' and includes a Pro Tools Ultimate subscription. It would have been more accurate to have said "HD Native users need Pro Tools Ultimate" (so... no change for you).
That was my assumption. Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure why they'd suggested that Flex was required for HD Native users when that's not the case.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying (sorry I missed this!).

The top tier is named Pro Tools Flex,but the Pro Tools Ultimate software and license name remains. A Pro Tools Ultimate Subscription is included with Pro Tools Flex. The Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual is no longer sold by Avid (but still available from resellers).

If you want the surround features -and- want to run v2021.3.1 you would need to use a Pro Tools Ultimate license (perpetual or subscription).

I think what we really need to do is to look into the issue you're reporting and solve that. Please reply back with the case # after you create that.
Jeffro. Just wanted to inform that I have an active case open on this. Number 04410753 . I’ve also created a breakout thread that systematically lays out this performance problem for the silicon processor. See here https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419777

Depending on users workflows, it may be more or less of an issue. For me, this problem is quite crippling and has been ongoing for some time, with the only solution being to roll back to an old version that doesn’t leverage your latest feature offerings, but is stable and reliable.

I’ve had some colleagues verify this problem, and the emerging pattern here is that pro tools installed on any silicon machine will chew an unnecessary amount of cpu for simply using aux sends, with no plugins even present in the session. A problem since 2021.6 .
Old 04-27-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
That was my assumption. Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure why they'd suggested that Flex was required for HD Native users when that's not the case.
If you're picking a sub tier (no grandfathered perpetual), Flex is your only choice... I guess that is what was meant?
Old 04-27-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Source of confusion:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 1.16.49 PM.jpg (29.4 KB, 0 views)

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Which marketing genius came up with the idea to name 2 subscription tiers after the actual pro tools version, while naming the 3rd tier ‘flex’ with the PT version included being ‘ultimate’

Or even worse: which responsible person said ‘oh yeahhh THAT’s an awesome plan, let’s confuse our customers even more than they already have been with AVID! Wooohooo’
Old 04-27-2022, 11:46 AM

Are there any improvements to the Satellite link functionality in the new Protools Studio software? Such as better communication between systems running Ultimate on a Windows computer and vanilla on a Mac (or visa versa)?

Any advantages to upgrading to the new bundle when running two systems simultaneously for redundant recording, or as extensions of the main recording system?

Also, when is DAPS going to run on Windows?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-27-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Can you buy Pro Tools Studio on Avid's site?
No. Avid stopped selling perpetual licenses as of yesterday. Some may be available from 3rd parties like Sweetwater. Dunno about that.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Only Ultimate users with perp licenses can use HD going forward. There is no longer a subscription for Ultimate except via a Flex subscription.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
No. Avid stopped selling perpetual licenses as of yesterday. Some may be available from 3rd parties like Sweetwater. Dunno about that.
Okay thanks, I guess they might be advertised online as Pro Tools Standard or other but will get you the latest version with a year of updates.