Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2022, 07:19 AM

Default Dialnorm for Theatrical release

We have completed a film release, specifically for television, using -24dB LKFS for dialnorm. We have been asked for a 24FPS conversion to DCP for theatrical release. Is there an easy way to deal with the -31dB LKFS difference or do we need to do a complete remix? I suppose it's not as easy as turning everything down 7dB?

Thanks...
Old 11-22-2022, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Dialnorm for Theatrical release

There's bound to be a lot of opinions here.

Most common advice is to take a broad set of stems and rent a dub stage for a day. If there is already a distribution deal surely the production could swing it. Or at least a playback where you could take notes.

That would be my preferred advice. I would not do a blanket level drop. Kind of depends on the type of film too. Documentary might not need much, drama probably more work.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:09 AM

Thanks, but we're out of time. It's all good as it is a basic documentary. We had a premiere in LA last Friday night at Regal LA Live downtown... I was OK with it.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:29 AM

It's been my experience that if DCP places are asking for -31db that is simply too low for an overall level. I spoke with Marti Humphrey at the Dubstage about this a month or two back when one of my clients had taken a streamed file and tried to use it for a theatrical DCP. Haha. That was a mistake on their part-:). Anyway I got asked to deliver a -31 LUFS for the DCP file. I have never had to deliver any film I've done here below -25. This one I did over for them at around -24 LUFS and it got approved just fine. Super quick turn around. Keep in mind this was only a stereo mix however and I had just hours to get it done. Totally the clients fault.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-22-2022, 10:54 AM

No Theater plays at Dolby "7" Reference ( 7=85spl). Every Theater will play it lower. Mixing it for Dialog Norm of 31 is FAR TOO LOW. Mix it for 27 or just leave it at 24. It will be fine. If you're really concerned then take it to a Calibrated Dub Stage and listen to it.
Since you don't have time then do as I mentioned above.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:07 PM

If you already screened it at a theatre that's great. Marti is spot on, they'll turn playback down if they want to. IME level 5 seems to be the starting point for screens around here.

Also Dialnorm ≠ LUFS, technically speaking.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
No Theater plays at Dolby "7" Reference ( 7=85spl). Every Theater will play it lower. Mixing it for Dialog Norm of 31 is FAR TOO LOW. Mix it for 27 or just leave it at 24. It will be fine. If you're really concerned then take it to a Calibrated Dub Stage and listen to it.
Since you don't have time then do as I mentioned above.
Yup. Marti is right as usual!

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-23-2022, 07:25 AM

THANK YOU ALL!!! I so appreciate everyone's experience and expertise on this forum, and your willingness to share.

As I mentioned we did screen it in LA last Friday and there were some initial audio problems... for some reason the channels weren't mapping properly and even when they did, their system was way out of spec. Even pink noise sounded different all around the room, but we had to go with it.

Other private releases this week have been good and no one has complained.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by Eric Seaberg; 11-24-2022 at 11:42 AM.