Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-18-2005, 03:20 PM

Default New 002 Desk

Evening guys, I have just acquired my new 002 desk. Very happy with it so far but a few questions if that's o.k?

1. Well firstly I have an emu 1820-m soundcard which is installed on the same PC, should this matter and should I disable it although it's from one of the pci cards supplied with this soundcard that I am using for the 1394 Firewire port to connect the 002.

2. I remember seeing some videos on a site linked from DUC of a guy with an mbox showing you how to use Pro Tools, in the 'installation' video clip he went through a few procedures. I could not locate this clip so decided just to follow what the manual said. I have disabled hyper-threading and checked the ide drives are on the'dma if available' setting. I rebooted and pro tool started fine. Is there anything else I should change?

3. My computers fan is now constantly turned on and being quite loud. Whenever I open a menu in pro tools or import anything etc. the fan speeds up tremendously and becomes even noisier to the point where it might pick up on the recordings. Is this normal as the fan is normally silent and it's constantly on now I have installed PT?

4. I got an error message when opening a plugin to do with the buffer size. It is currently set to 64 for latency reasons and seems to be working o.k what will be the result of keeping this lower?

5. Is there a way to use the optical out to go into a set of speakers as it is connected and recognised as an input source by the speaker system but no audio is actually coming out.

6. How do I set the level on line inputs 5-8 please? O.k for this one I admitt I can just rtfm lol just being lazy I guess (ignore me)

No more questions for now. Will prob have some more for the future if that's o.k.

Many thanks guys

L.Dudley
Old 03-18-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: New 002 Desk

Also, when I tried to enter a nudge value in by clicking on the green number my actual machine made a system beep from the tower, and my cpu is constantly moving back and forth in the system usage indicator.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:53 PM

And I also noticed that a red peak had been hit in the cpu display, oh dear oh dear oh dear!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Dude, you have this post in here 3 times...

what do you need to know?

shorten the list some and let me know where I can help.

Here is a video for your viewing pleasure- disk flix
Old 03-20-2005, 09:04 AM

Hi thanks for your reply, I know sorry for the multiple posts I just wanna get things sorted so that I can use this desk without any problems. Basically my questions are

1.Should I disable my other soundcard (Emu 1820-M) as I am using the firewire conenction on it?

2.My fan on my computer is constantly on when I use Pro Tools and remains on until I restart, is this normal?

3.What will be the result of using a 64 samples as a buffer size, will this make a huge difference to the performance?

4.Do I have to activate the optical output as I am trying to use it with other speakers, so far the speakers acknowledge the input but no sound comes out.

5.Is it normal for my machine to make a beep sound from inside the tower when I click on the nudge value to enter it manually?

Many thanks for the reply

L.Dudley
Old 03-20-2005, 11:00 AM

Hey Dr....

What are you using for a computer (specs please) and are you using win xp sp2?

1.Should I disable my other soundcard (Emu 1820-M) as I am using the firewire conenction on it?

-As a rule of thumb.....disable anything that is not needed (soundcard, network card etc.)

2.My fan on my computer is constantly on when I use Pro Tools and remains on until I restart, is this normal?

-That sounds a little odd to me? Anyone else? I find it hard to believe PT is stressing the cpu to the point where the fan is always on. Again....computer specs please.

3.What will be the result of using a 64 samples as a buffer size, will this make a huge difference to the performance?

-The lower the buffer, the less latency. Refer to the manual.

4.Do I have to activate the optical output as I am trying to use it with other speakers, so far the speakers acknowledge the input but no sound comes out.

-Im confused on this one...optical out and speakers? Anyone else?

5.Is it normal for my machine to make a beep sound from inside the tower when I click on the nudge value to enter it manually?

-No
Old 03-20-2005, 11:36 AM

"4.Do I have to activate the optical output as I am trying to use it with other speakers, so far the speakers acknowledge the input but no sound comes out."

I have not had any luck using optical out to power digital speakers - all I get is a clicking sound. As far as I know, I have never seen a fix for this and mine speakers are plugged in analog.

Others...

1) yes, disable the soundcard and install the wavedriver from the PT install CD - it makes your 002 into a "sound card" to run audio for your computer when Protools in not open on your computer.

3) read everything you can about optimizing your computer before you even start trying to use ProTools. If you are already getting buffer settings error messages with one plugin you have some work to do.

2 & 5 -- you'll have to tell use what your system is before we can know, but it sounds strange.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:52 AM

1) you should be using one of these for firewire connectivity.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-20-2005, 02:25 PM

Yes but it states that "if you experience FireWire-related issues or errors", and my issues don't seem to be firewire based.

My system specs are

Processor:
2.8 gHz P4 Processor

Storage:
1 80-gig hard drive for applications etc.
1 200-gig hard drive (Seagate Barracuda) for audio

RAM:
3 x 512 DDR

Graphics card:
Ati Radeon 9250

I am unsure of the motherboard but the Chipset I am running is listed as 865 either a G or PE.

I hope this is enough info. Is it likely to be that I am running with the hyperthreading disabled? What would happen if I was to re-enable it?

Thanks a lot guys

L.Dudley
Old 03-20-2005, 02:25 PM

Yes but it states that "if you experience FireWire-related issues or errors", and my issues don't seem to be firewire based.

My system specs are

Processor:
2.8 gHz P4 Processor

Storage:
1 80-gig hard drive for applications etc.
1 200-gig hard drive (Seagate Barracuda) for audio

RAM:
3 x 512 DDR

Graphics card:
Ati Radeon 9250

I am unsure of the motherboard but the Chipset I am running is listed as 865 either a G or PE.

I hope this is enough info. Is it likely to be that I am running with the hyperthreading disabled? What would happen if I was to re-enable it?

Thanks a lot guys

L.Dudley