Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Hud Hud is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: London
Posts: 23
Default Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Hi all, I’m considering getting a focusrite 16 line to supplement the MTRX Studio. Anyone with experience of using the 16 Line in the control room especially regarding the fan? I understand it has 2 fans, so hoping you’ll say it is silent :)

Cheers
H
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2021, 09:28 AM
uptheoctave uptheoctave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxfordshire and Geneva.
Posts: 425
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
Hi all, I’m considering getting a focusrite 16 line to supplement the MTRX Studio. Anyone with experience of using the 16 Line in the control room especially regarding the fan? I understand it has 2 fans, so hoping you’ll say it is silent :)

Cheers
H
I have one, it is essentially silent.
I can't hear it across the room.

Focusrite Dante expanders (A16R for example) are not silent.

Last edited by uptheoctave; 07-01-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2021, 04:09 PM
Hud Hud is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: London
Posts: 23
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Hi up the octave thanks again for answering yet again :)

The focusrite 16Line it is!

Cheers
H
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2021, 03:02 AM
uptheoctave uptheoctave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxfordshire and Geneva.
Posts: 425
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
Hi up the octave thanks again for answering yet again :)

The focusrite 16Line it is!

Cheers
H
No worries,

Be aware that you are limited to 32 channels of Dante with the Red 16 Line, also it is not sample accurate for hardware inserts using HDX.
Otherwise it is a stellar product.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2021, 08:42 PM
LukeHoward LukeHoward is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,098
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Be aware that you are limited to 32 channels of Dante with the Red 16 Line, also it is not sample accurate for hardware inserts using HDX.
Neither is the MTRX for that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2021, 12:04 AM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 2,025
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
Hi all, I’m considering getting a focusrite 16 line to supplement the MTRX Studio. Anyone with experience of using the 16 Line in the control room especially regarding the fan? I understand it has 2 fans, so hoping you’ll say it is silent :)

Cheers
H
Hud I was just wondering you’d considered the Ferrofish Dante AD/DA’s as an alternative to the Focusrite and if so, what put you off them? I ask because I’m also looking into expanding the I/O of my MTRX Studio and the Ferrofish stuff is ticking a lot of boxes including not having any fans.

https://www.ferrofish.com/
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2021, 02:24 AM
uptheoctave uptheoctave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxfordshire and Geneva.
Posts: 425
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Hud I was just wondering you’d considered the Ferrofish Dante AD/DA’s as an alternative to the Focusrite and if so, what put you off them? I ask because I’m also looking into expanding the I/O of my MTRX Studio and the Ferrofish stuff is ticking a lot of boxes including not having any fans.

https://www.ferrofish.com/
Hi Dave,

I'm not the OP but I can speak to this.
I have several types of converters in the studio- 16 channels of Avid MTRX, 16 channels of Ferrofish Pulse 16 DX CV, 32 channels of Focusrite Dante (2 x A16R), a Red 16 Line and a UA Apollo X8.

Ferrofish are excellent and expandable- you could add a Pulse 16 MX to a DX for example and double your ADA channel count (connecting them over MADI) cheaper than buying another Pulse 16 DX.

The routing matrix in the Ferrofish converters is excellent.
The 'on paper' audio spec is slightly below other converters I have but I will be damned if it makes any difference to how they sound.
The only 'non-pro' aspect to them is the external power supply but as I say in the review I'll be glad of that if the power supply ever fails as it can be easily replaced.
A bit of velcro and a few cable ties sorted out the wiring messiness due to the external PS in a few mins.

You can read my review of it here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...6-dx-cv-review

The Focusrite A16R fan is annoying in the control room.
They sound great and the only issue for me is the fan noise.
I use them for 32 channels of outboard as hardware inserts so I only turn them on when mixing.

I might end up selling the A16R's at some point and replace them with something fan-less but it isn't my top priority.
That might be a couple of Pulses or it might be a Lynx Aurora n.

Lynx are more expensive of course and sound terrific.

I reviewed that converter here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...urora-n-tested

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2021, 03:08 AM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 2,025
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
Hi Dave,

I'm not the OP but I can speak to this.
I have several types of converters in the studio- 16 channels of Avid MTRX, 16 channels of Ferrofish Pulse 16 DX CV, 32 channels of Focusrite Dante (2 x A16R), a Red 16 Line and a UA Apollo X8.

Ferrofish are excellent and expandable- you could add a Pulse 16 MX to a DX for example and double your ADA channel count (connecting them over MADI) cheaper than buying another Pulse 16 DX.

The routing matrix in the Ferrofish converters is excellent.
The 'on paper' audio spec is slightly below other converters I have but I will be damned if it makes any difference to how they sound.
The only 'non-pro' aspect to them is the external power supply but as I say in the review I'll be glad of that if the power supply ever fails as it can be easily replaced.
A bit of velcro and a few cable ties sorted out the wiring messiness due to the external PS in a few mins.

You can read my review of it here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...6-dx-cv-review

The Focusrite A16R fan is annoying in the control room.
They sound great and the only issue for me is the fan noise.
I use them for 32 channels of outboard as hardware inserts so I only turn them on when mixing.

I might end up selling the A16R's at some point and replace them with something fan-less but it isn't my top priority.
That might be a couple of Pulses or it might be a Lynx Aurora n.

Lynx are more expensive of course and sound terrific.

I reviewed that converter here:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...urora-n-tested

Hope this helps.
Thanks James that’s very helpful and great reviews! None of the Ferrofish “cons” bother me and I would imagine the quality of conversion would be fine for my requirements. I’ll be using it for piping in hardware synths, drum machines etc. and the CV capability is an unexpected bonus.

I’m sure the Lynx is amazing but it’s literally double the cost for 32 channels. The Ferrofish is also cheaper per channel than the Focusrite units. My studio is effectively silent now with the exception of occasional HDX card fan noise so I was a bit hesitant about the Focusrite.

Just one quick question - does the Ferrofish interface well with synths/drum machines in terms of level? Most stuff I have is quite hot on the outputs but is there enough gain available to cover quieter synth outputs?
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2021, 05:19 AM
uptheoctave uptheoctave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxfordshire and Geneva.
Posts: 425
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Thanks James that’s very helpful and great reviews! None of the Ferrofish “cons” bother me and I would imagine the quality of conversion would be fine for my requirements. I’ll be using it for piping in hardware synths, drum machines etc. and the CV capability is an unexpected bonus.

I’m sure the Lynx is amazing but it’s literally double the cost for 32 channels. The Ferrofish is also cheaper per channel than the Focusrite units. My studio is effectively silent now with the exception of occasional HDX card fan noise so I was a bit hesitant about the Focusrite.

Just one quick question - does the Ferrofish interface well with synths/drum machines in terms of level? Most stuff I have is quite hot on the outputs but is there enough gain available to cover quieter synth outputs?
It hasn't been a problem for me.
The Pulse is switchable from +20dBu, +13dBu, +4dBu, plus you have digital gain from +20dBu to -8dBu, in 1dB steps.

Note that CV is just the CV model(s) only.
It is CV on outputs only too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-13-2021, 10:05 AM
Hud Hud is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: London
Posts: 23
Default Re: Focusrite Red 16Line fan noise?

Cant find a Focusrite Dante or ferrofish in stock anywhere in UK for love or money, seems all sold out. Plenty of UADs though!
H
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Focusrite adds free bx_console Focusrite SC for ISA owners WKG AAX Plug-ins 5 02-05-2020 05:17 AM
FOCUSRITE FORTE: Help! Xtreme noise with PT12 Asongwriter General Discussion 1 11-25-2015 08:05 PM
Strange noise wit both ua-25ex and focusrite usb interfaces stephenthemartyr Windows 0 11-25-2012 05:21 PM
focusrite Saffire through Trio Mindprint causes noise Talisker Pro Tools 9 2 10-17-2011 05:24 AM
Bounce noise, G4 freezes,focusrite d3 shows error-1 dobroman Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 4 11-12-2001 02:58 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com