Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-26-2021, 08:59 AM

Default Is Clean My Mac X ok to use?

I'm reading conflicting reports about this. Looking to clear out junk for starters to make more room on the drives I have.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa
Old 07-26-2021, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Is Clean My Mac X ok to use?

You can always try for yourself, but best clean your mac method is a good backup, a clean install of OS, and installing everything you need from zero.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:41 PM

Yes, I use it every day in conjunction with Funter when uninstalling plugins, or removing data.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:50 PM

have been using it for 3 years without issue.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 07-26-2021, 02:36 PM
Development Partner

I gave it two chances and will never ever put it on one of my machines again. It caused a lot of problems with shutting my machine down and seemed to be the root of a number of other problems in my admittedly complex system (this was back in my developer days). All those problems went away after removing it.

And removing it is a whole other story. The uninstaller doesn't uninstall much of anything and I could not get a straight answer out of support about where everything was. I had to dig pretty deep to get rid of the daemons they installed and all of the crap they put on my system.

I'd tried it once, perhaps around 2015 or so. I had all of the problems I mentioned above--including getting rid of it. But I heard so many glowing reports from people I trusted that I gave it another chance two years later. Same story. Perhaps it works for some people, but these days I'll clean up my system by myself.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:30 PM

Wow Michael,

Thanks for the warning. Sorry for what you experienced. Is there another program you would recommend that wouldn't cause so many issues?

I like that it monitors what's going on with all the drives you have connected, but I definitely don't want to run the risk of issues.

See, this is why I ask ahead of time.

Interesting to note that some people find success with it. The real question that remains is what makes it work well for some and not for others, such as yourself. Perhaps it could not handle your particular system, not designed for certain types of complexities.

I don't like to hear that it was so difficult to uninstall. Yeah, that's not great.

Looking forward to your reply!

Lisa
Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
Wow Michael,

Thanks for the warning. Sorry for what you experienced. Is there another program you would recommend that wouldn't cause so many issues?

I like that it monitors what's going on with all the drives you have connected, but I definitely don't want to run the risk of issues.

Interesting to note that some people find success with it. The real question that remains is what makes it work well for some and not for others, such as yourself. Perhaps it could not handle your particular system, not designed for certain types of complexities.

I don't like to hear that it was so difficult to uninstall. Yeah, that's not great.

Lisa
Hey Lisa,
I'm afraid that I can't recommend an alternative. Because of my years in tech, I learned how to dig around inside a system and find all the pieces to get rid of. If you're not comfortable with the thought of that, then you probably don't want to start now. A wipe and reinstall can certainly get rid of a lot of detritus, but you've got to make sure you have all installers and a full backup--and usually a couple of days to spare.

There are lots of bits of software that don't have complete uninstallers, so it's not really about that. It's that I believe the company was deliberately evasive and told me untruths. Given that a company claims a product is all about safely cleaning up a computer at deep levels, I simply found that inexcusable.

Good luck! I do hope you find a solution that works at a level that makes you comfortable.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:44 PM

I use Onyx - a free tool for fast optimizing my macs. This tool is free, it is around since at least 10-12 years and gets its own version for every MacOs. I also can do all these tweakings by myself by experience, but this tool makes it more convenient.

Very important is to do a backup before optimize the system - with any tools or by yourself. If anything goes wrong you have to be able to go back to start

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 10 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs 11.6.5 / Windows 10
Wavelab Elements 11

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 07-27-2021, 03:06 AM

Agree about Onyx. Been using it for many years with no trouble. It's not a tool you should be needing to use frequently/regularly though, if you do it might be indicative of some issue.

Pete
Old 07-27-2021, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
Wow Michael,

Lisa
I wouldn't use any so-called Mac optimizer program. They can remove too much and break things as a result. What little space you recover isn't worth the risk of corrupting your system. If a person like Michael Carnes is having problems you can only imagine the issues someone who isn't a computer geek can/would have.

Asa has been mentioned you're better off making regular clone backups and disconnecting said clone when done doing the deed. I use Carbon Copy Cloner on a weekly basis to make my backups/clones. Has aved my bacon on more than one occassion.

QAPLA!