How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2023, 04:11 AM

Default ProTools Intro install failure?

Hello,

I've been using ProTools since 2003 and I'm currently running PT 12.5 perpetual on another computer (offline). I recently found out about PT Intro and wanted to run that on the desktop (widows10) that I use for most other stuff (like when posting here) in order to use some Toontrack plugins that I enjoy using when fiddling with songwriting ideas (e.g. EZDrummer and EZKeys).
So, I tried downloading the PT Intro install (downloading worked nicely) and used my existing Avid account for the Avid Link. The installation process runs until after Melodyne has been installed, and then I get a timeout message (see attachment).
I de-installed everything, restarted the computer and tried again, thinking that perhaps it didn't work because I used an existing Avid account. The result was the same, no matter if I tried installing by downloading the PT Intro install or by downloading the Avid Link install.

I then tried installing on my widows10 laptop, and everything worked nicely (no issues whatsoever).

So, how come I can't install on my desktop?
- M2 issues?
- too many disks (2x M2, 3x SSD)?
- 32GB RAM being a problem?

The laptop has a Ryzen3 CPU, so I don't think that the Ryzen7 CPU on the desktop is the one causing the issues.

I managed to install my old PT 12.5 on the desktop, but I would prefer using PT Intro on that computer if possible as that would save me the trouble of moving my iLok all the time.

I have an MS-INFO generated from the time when I was installing, but I can't attach that file.

Any ideas?
Anything I could try?

best,
Martin Kahnberg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Intro fail install.jpg (39.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2023, 01:23 PM

Default Re: ProTools Intro install failure?

This problem will have nothing to do with hardware, nothing to do with how many or what type of disks you have, or the CPU hardware, or which way the wind is blowing....

You can't have Pro Tools 12 and later versions installed at the same time. Did you uninstall older versions first?

If the installer is repeatedly hanging or not completing you likely have a software problem. Maybe an overzealous antivirus software (disable or better uninstall all that crapware, including stuff from Microsoft) or maybe you have a corrupted Windows install. If you can't work this out fast I would do a clean new test install of Windows on a spare partition of drive, and install Pro Tools on that. If that works I'd switch over to that as my primary install, reinstalling other apps, etc. maybe clone it back over your current boot partition when ready.

Forget Avid Link, it's unreliable bloatware and best just uninstalled.

msinfo is of no interest here, DUC works with SiSoft Sandra reports. See under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. I doubt posting a Sandra report will help either.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-24-2023 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:06 PM

Default Re: ProTools Intro install failure?

I have done a few more tests after writing the original post. I've tried installing from the unzipped zipfile (without AvidLink), all previous stuff from Avid (including addons, pace, melodyne, ...) removed - but the install still gets the same timeout after the melodyne install (after creating a Hash Database, according to the log file). I've tried running the install process as admin, and I've deactivated all anti-virus/ad-block/anti-malware/firewall stuff. It still fails.
I haven't tried creating a second widows install on a new partition. It's worth trying, at least.