Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2023, 06:04 AM

Default Searching for a piano VI

Looking for a new piano VI. I already have a couple of the NI Kontakt ones, the Model D and Austrian Grands for UVI Falcon. Want a decent Steinway D and B; anything else would be gravy. I want to stay away from any Kontakt-based libs so that leaves out the Galaxy Instruments wares. Also because I'm on the hairy edge of working with UVI Falcon and my ancient OSX 10.13.6 the VI Labs stuff is a low priority (and they have a D but no B). Further I'd like to stay with one developer if possible. That leaves the stuff from Synthogy (Ivory) which are sample based and Modarrt (Pianoteq) which are modeled.

I like demos as much as possible and Ivory doesn't do that. Pianoteq does so I'm working with that. That being said what do people here like? Any problems with either? Are there other piano vi's out there I'm missing?

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2023, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Searching for a piano VI

ModArt and KeyScape are both very good. Not sure if they offer demo's but check them out. ModArt has Steinways. KeyScape might but I do know they have a very good Yamaha C7

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-08-2023, 07:02 AM

Nothing beats Synthogy Ivory. No demos because the size of their libraries is something else. However if you have a MIDI file you want to print through American D, Italian Grand, or one of the original grand piano collection, I can do that for you.

EDIT: just checked. In here for the three licenses mentioned, Ivory sample library is 160GB.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Looking for a new piano VI. I already have a couple of the NI Kontakt ones, the Model D and Austrian Grands for UVI Falcon. Want a decent Steinway D and B; anything else would be gravy. I want to stay away from any Kontakt-based libs so that leaves out the Galaxy Instruments wares. Also because I'm on the hairy edge of working with UVI Falcon and my ancient OSX 10.13.6 the VI Labs stuff is a low priority (and they have a D but no B). Further I'd like to stay with one developer if possible. That leaves the stuff from Synthogy (Ivory) which are sample based and Modarrt (Pianoteq) which are modeled.

I like demos as much as possible and Ivory doesn't do that. Pianoteq does so I'm working with that. That being said what do people here like? Any problems with either? Are there other piano vi's out there I'm missing?
Hey Jack have you checked out Spitfire Audio? Here's their keys page:

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/instru...s%20%26%20keys
Old 03-08-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
ModArt and KeyScape are both very good. Not sure if they offer demo's but check them out. ModArt has Steinways. KeyScape might but I do know they have a very good Yamaha C7
One of the hard things I'm trying to figure out is the mic positioning and choices in Pianoteq really useful or a gimmick? Looked at Keyscape and they do have a Yamaha but no Steinways. It seems like I don't need Omnisphere 2 (I just have Omni 1).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Nothing beats Synthogy Ivory. No demos because the size of their libraries is something else. However if you have a MIDI file you want to print through American D, Italian Grand, or one of the original grand piano collection, I can do that for you.

EDIT: just checked. In here for the three licenses mentioned, Ivory sample library is 160GB.
I remember that you had a very good opinion of Ivory as I found out in my research here. I see they have a the Grand Pianos collection that has a D, a C7 and a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand. Then there's the Studio Grand collection wtih a B and a Bosendorfer 225 grand. A shame they don't sell the B separate because if they did I'd get the D and B Steinways without Bosendorfer pianos (their sound never grabbed me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Hey Jack have you checked out Spitfire Audio? Here's their keys page:

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/instru...s%20%26%20keys
Yes I did. Unless I'm mistaken don't they use Kontakt? I'm trying to get away from anything Kontakt related.

To all: thanks for the responses. What's engendered this is I'm finally replacing my aging and one foot in the grave Yamaha original Motif 7 with a Studiologic SL88 Grand to go with a real piano action and figured I'd pair it up with some really decent pianos worthy of it's use. Of course getting a hefty tax refund from the Feds is helping to pay for the new stuff (with blessings and urging from my wife - she tired of seeing me struggle with the Motif's faults).

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
A shame they don't sell the B separate because if they did I'd get the D and B Steinways without Bosendorfer pianos (their sound never grabbed me).
Not only that, but they just launched Ivory III with brand new sampling of another (german) D.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Not only that, but they just launched Ivory III with brand new sampling of another (german) D.
I know. Unfortunately my system doesn't fit their requirements for the new German D. And yes for those that haven't played both in real life there IS a sound difference between the two.

While I have your eyeballs - is there a manual that explains in gui and what everything does? Been watching videos of the two collections (Studio grands and the Concert grands) and would like a bit better explanation. On top of that I'm torn which do I get? Can't afford both bundles; keep in mind that I have a long history with a B Steinway.

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2023, 12:04 PM

Here. At first it is all about setup, but it walks through all the functions later.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Here. At first it is all about setup, but it walks through all the functions later.
Thanks much for this. Gives me something to help me make a decision.

QAPLA!
Old 03-08-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
On top of that I'm torn which do I get? Can't afford both bundles; keep in mind that I have a long history with a B Steinway.
I have a professional pianist friend who swears on the American D (though German D is so new jury is still out). He says playing it live feels just as second nature than playing the real thing. He makes half of his income playing that VI on stage.