Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2023, 10:01 PM

Default Anyone else concerned with Avid offering "sample packs" as what's new?

Anyone else concerned with Avid offering "sample packs" as what's new?

and it's sad to see that Avid's shares has also dropped.

So what's going on with Avid?
Why not focus more resources on Pro Tools as software?
Why put time into sample packs?
Why have so many hardware products?
Why deny Pro Tools features if something can't be implemented on a Control Surface?
Why have DSP products in this day and age?
Why invest in support for television?
Why have offices all around the world when the internet connects us all?

Why not modernize the business model? I'm ready to support Avid as a Pro Tools user,
Can't Avid see Pro Tools would outpereform all DAWs if more resources was put into software instead of anything else?

Think about the age group of all the various DAW users, isn't this important?

I don't understand what going on, did I miss something?
Old 05-19-2023, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Anyone else concerned with Avid offering "sample packs" as what's new?

Just my opinions:
Why not focus more resources on Pro Tools as software?Why not focus on everything? I see it as another way to add value to many users
Why put time into sample packs?see above
Why have so many hardware products?Because everyone that buys Pro Tools also buys hardware(if not from Avid, then from someone else)
Why deny Pro Tools features if something can't be implemented on a Control Surface?Because not everyone uses a control surface. Lots of very serious users have nothing more than a laptop, a small interface and headphones
Why have DSP products in this day and age?As a way to have ultra-low latency, which many larger-scale users really need
Why invest in support for television?Think about how many TV programs are produced every year
Why have offices all around the world when the internet connects us all?Probably because they have talent that lives in all parts of the world(I'm guessing many/most of these "offices" are one room for the employee to operate from). Having done internet meetings with people from all over the world, it makes sense to me

Why not modernize the business model? I'm ready to support Avid as a Pro Tools user,Personally, I think they have modernized, often to the chagrin of long-time users.
Can't Avid see Pro Tools would outpereform all DAWs if more resources was put into software instead of anything else? In many ways, PT already does outperform others(and lag behind as well). The beauty of all the competition is that it makes every DAW constantly work to get better. As for hardware vs software, I suspect they make a lot more profit on hardware than you think

Think about the age group of all the various DAW users, isn't this important?I believe they do, considering how much Avid has added in recent years that is of little value to me. Just one opinion

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-19-2023, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Anyone else concerned with Avid offering "sample packs" as what's new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Why deny Pro Tools features if something can't be implemented on a Control Surface?
Because not everyone uses a control surface. Lots of very serious users have nothing more than a laptop, a small interface and headphones
I don't think you understood this one.
The question means to say, there are more people who use just pro tools and no control surface,
so therefore,
Pro Tools should not be denied a new feature just because a control surface wouldn't be able to also implement the new feature.

Last edited by Electronic1982; 05-20-2023 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Why not modernize the business model? I'm ready to support Avid as a Pro Tools user,
Personally, I think they have modernized, often to the chagrin of long-time users.
Avid has not, long term users have several un-answered issues which can all be solved with a change in the business model.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Why not modernize the business model? I'm ready to support Avid as a Pro Tools user,Personally, I think they have modernized, often to the chagrin of long-time users.
Personally, I think, Pro Tools will get a new mommy and daddy:)

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...-explores-sale
Old 05-27-2023, 02:07 AM

Reading the issues a lot of us are facing with PT, I think Avid'd better address those problems and improve PT functionality, than coming up with all kinds of bells and whistles.

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:53 AM

The sample packs make me roll my eyes. I doubt anyone gives a damn. The customers they're trying to appeal to there are mostly on other platforms anyway.

But to answer your first question, "Why not focus more resources on Pro Tools as software?" These cheesy sample packs have nothing to do with software development. They are a marketing initiative. I highly doubt anyone on the Pro Tools dev team is taking time out of their other work to focus on this stuff. Avid's marketing yokels just want an excuse to send you emails and create the illusion of value.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voideco View Post
Reading the issues a lot of us are facing with PT, I think Avid'd better address those problems and improve PT functionality, than coming up with all kinds of bells and whistles.
So true this. Doing a tech preview with a gazillion track marker options.... instead of bug fixing pro tools in the first place. Someone at the creative team over there must be really out of ideas.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:40 AM

I'm not concerned.

The sample packs are GREAT for the fastest growing PT user base (NOT the old time user base. That stays the same right?)

The fastest growing DAW and PT and music hardware user base is the same growing user base since "all of Avid's main competition" started flying around 2004, roughly (when I first downloaded Live 3, now at 11.something).

That user base is small project studios (like bedroom/ living rooms) with young people writing, playing, and recording music at home, not making millions of bucks. Incidentally I observe a cultural trend toward what music was like long before the 20th Century when "pop culture / mainstream / capitalism / or whatever" people call "modern entertainment."

Now, people are just playing music, there isn't as much work for a few people because a LOT of people are doing it more for themselves.

I'm okay with all this. Sure, there is a drive to make concentrated money in MY hands at MY studio, but I'm happy the market and music making and recording "industry" are opening up to people with smaller budgets.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //