Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2023, 10:59 PM

Default What’s due in 2023?

My support plan is coming to an end shortly. I’m 90% sure I’m going to let it lapse this year, I have a reinstatement plan waiting in the wings to use at some future point when Avid finally do something worthwhile.

I got an email the other day that said there was something exciting and new coming, which turned out to be a new mystery VI.

Quote:
Exciting new things are coming soon to your Pro Tools subscription...

Get ready for a brand-new virtual instrument with an ever-growing library of sounds and presets. And new monthly sound pack releases containing exclusive samples, presets, and audio content curated and designed by multiplatinum artist Matt Lange.

Stay tuned for the official announcement!
I’ve extricated myself from needing any plugin from the plugin bundle so that holds no value for me.

So the question is.- have Avid given any indication at all what is on their roadmap this year? Obvs there will be the non-beta Silicon release, but apart from that? My suspicion is they have very little in the wings as a) the focus has been on silicon and b) the promise of a new VI is an attempt to tell customers SOMETHING is happening and there’s nothing else much to say. But does anyone know any different?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-08-2023, 11:12 PM

Default Re: What’s due in 2023?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
But does anyone know any different?
No one who could know could say anything.
So this might be one of the most pointless threads
(and I think you know that)
Old 03-08-2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
No one who could know could say anything.
So this might be one of the most pointless threads
(and I think you know that)
Not really. I’ve consistently seen posts from people saying “a rep told me” or “at a trade fair they said”. Usually accurate too.

EDIT - also Avid bosses do say things in public from time to time, not everyone catches them (including me).

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-08-2023, 11:43 PM

I haven't heard anything though I hope a VI is *not* the big news for 2023. 3rd parties have taken the VI genre so far that I'd rather see Avid focus on PT as a DAW instead of try to play VI catch-up. Native will undoubtedly be a focus this year, though they seem to have a good start on that already -- now it's up to plugin developers to provide Native AAX. I'll follow the thread for possible rumors but don't expect to see much.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:56 AM

If this instrument is dependent on active subscription like the last two were I'm letting mine lapse when it's up..
Old 03-09-2023, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Not really. I’ve consistently seen posts from people saying “a rep told me” or “at a trade fair they said”. Usually accurate too.

EDIT - also Avid bosses do say things in public from time to time, not everyone catches them (including me).
Well I heard that Silicone would be ready fall 2022. I know there is beta, but not exactly something you would want to trust a mix on.

So. I am sure it is Silcorn that is taking up the time. There is probably more Intel machines in use worldwide so that might be an issue as well.
Almost every plugin
Old 03-09-2023, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
If this instrument is dependent on active subscription like the last two were I'm letting mine lapse when it's up..
Your annual payment is due. Just upped on 2 of mine. Ouch. Still on 2021.12.
But I can update at anytime.

I still have a 5,1 that it still a beast and an M1 MBpro so I think I'm going to be in a cycle for a while until everything gets sorted and Apple makes up its mind on the Mac Pro.
Honestly I think they went too far on the Mac Pro 2019. It really priced a lot of users out.
And those who knew the Silicon was coming, waited.
Almost every plugin
Old 03-09-2023, 05:51 AM

A previous thread (I can't seem to find) mentioned some forthcoming update of Marker Tracks, whether that related to ability to add 32000 markers I'm not sure.

The Protools scripting SDK availability might create some interesting workflows but most likely via third parties.

I had two ultimate licenses but only renewed one this year, the last version on the abandoned one will do enough for general use.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:03 AM

Big so called news is obviously Apple Silicon native support. There will be more of course, otherwise Windows users would get grumpy.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:06 AM

Aren’t Windows users usually grumpy?