How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2023, 10:26 PM

Default Mbox studio for live streaming singing

Dear friends,
I recently purchased an MBOX STUDIO audio interface for my live singing performances on TikTok. However, I am experiencing some difficulties and I hope you can help me solve these issues.

To give you a bit of background, I am a singer who performs classical, musical theater, and pop music. During my live performances on TikTok, I use either a condenser microphone or a dynamic microphone to sing, and I play background music from the same computer or other devices such as iPad or mobile phone.

What I need is the ability to add some audio effects to my singing in real-time, just like a sound engineer would do during a recording session, and broadcast these effects to my audience. I also need different presets for different music styles, and the ability to switch between presets with a single button during the live stream.

I am not sure where to start with these requirements and how to set them up in MBOX STUDIO. Could you please provide me with some guidance or advice on how to achieve these goals?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Mbox studio for live streaming singing

Hi, welcome to the community.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:49 AM

Do you use any vocal effects/processor software or hardware boxes with other performances?

A DAW like Pro Tools may *not* be the place to start with this. Especially if you are new to working with DAWs. I'm not a fan of forcing Pro Tools into real-time use, especially where you are also streaming/recoding video.

The Mbox Studio has some limited ability to run internal effects, that will all be well described in the documentation. I doubt that will be what you want.

There are a whole variety of real-time "plugin host" audio products, that are in some ways sister products to DAWs. Apple MainStage is one example (that uses AU format plugins, the same as Garageband and Logic Pro use), if you work largely in the Mac environment I'd strongly recommend just buying MainStage for $30 and seeing if this kind of thing works for you. Lots of folks hope Apple will one day releases an iPad version of MainStage.

There are many of these plugin host products that host VST format plugins, and none that host AAX format plugins (the type Pro Tools uses natively).

Often if you purchase a commercial plugin it will come in all, or multiple of these different formats. You can find lots more info by Googling for "plugin host" or "VST host". Many of these will have demo versions you can play with.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanqin16 View Post
Dear friends,
I recently purchased an MBOX STUDIO audio interface for my live singing performances on TikTok. However, I am experiencing some difficulties and I hope you can help me solve these issues.

To give you a bit of background, I am a singer who performs classical, musical theater, and pop music. During my live performances on TikTok, I use either a condenser microphone or a dynamic microphone to sing, and I play background music from the same computer or other devices such as iPad or mobile phone.

What I need is the ability to add some audio effects to my singing in real-time, just like a sound engineer would do during a recording session, and broadcast these effects to my audience. I also need different presets for different music styles, and the ability to switch between presets with a single button during the live stream.

I am not sure where to start with these requirements and how to set them up in MBOX STUDIO. Could you please provide me with some guidance or advice on how to achieve these goals?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Hello,

You can use MBOX Control like a live mixer. If you wish to add some reverb and delay to your vocal just turn up the AVID FX send on that input channel and then click on the AVID FX tab to turn up the AVID FX return level on the desired output (bottom row of tiles). You can adjust the reverb type and parameters in the upper left hand section of the interface.

Here's a great video which shows you exactly how to use AVID FX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnDSZGHE6A

You also have channel EQ and other things like soft limit and variable impedance available on a per input channel basis.

I hope this helps.
JW