Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2023, 08:59 AM

Default Anyone using a longer USB cable?

If so, please link to one that works well. My setup really needs a 10-12' cable, but every time I use a longer cable, my system suffers freeze-ups. If I use the factory(short) cable, everything works dandy. First run was with a USB3 extension(with an adapter to go into a USB3 port). That failed. Second run was a highly rated 15' USB-c cable and that failed. I don't mind spending more for something that will work, but as our needs are decidedly NOT "standard", any reviews or scores(like 5 stars...) are pretty much useless

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-06-2023, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Anyone using a longer USB cable?

Those interfaces are only USB 2.0 so should be good for long runs of copper cable, you could try several different long USB 2 cables. I have reliable operation of Eleven Racks on 16' to 19' USB 2 cables, Amazon Basics and one other brand I can't remember, but it might be a crap shoot. So I'd start with an Amazon Basics USB 2 cable and see.

The other option (for much longer cables) is go optical extender cables, e.g. Tripp Lite and other brands USB optical cables, transceivers in the headshells, just look like standard cables, check the spec details, they do USB 3.2 (what exact flavor?) and USB 2 as far as I can recall. Buy 'em on Amazon or similar with the option of quick return if they don't work.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:16 PM

I use this cable 10ft. with my Audient iD44 MKII since I have a standing desk and needed the extra length.

Everything works fine.

But I have noticed in the past the the port I use could affect the connection.

If I try to use a USB-C to USB-A cable plugged into a USB2 port, then I get glitchy effects in the on-screen mixer. But if I use a C to C cable into a USB3 C port, everything is fine.

Which is weird because even though the interface has a C port, its still USB2.0, but it only works properly when plugged into a USB3 port.

Whatever cable you get, just make sure its rated for Data transfer and not only for charging.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-07-2023, 07:58 AM

Contrary to all my own advice, I use this 3m USB extender cable with an unpowered 4 port usb hub with keyboard mouse and Babyface Pro fs plugged in and it works perfectly. UK link but may be available in the States.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08...b_b_asin_title
Old 04-07-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Contrary to all my own advice, I use this 3m USB extender cable with an unpowered 4 port usb hub with keyboard mouse and Babyface Pro fs plugged in and it works perfectly. UK link but may be available in the States.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08...b_b_asin_title
Hmmm, I think this is the very extendo I started out with. I had nothing but disaster using front USB ports and rear(motherboard) USB ports. Once I used only the Avid cable and plugged into a USB3 card(4xUSB3 ports and 1xUSB-c port) and used the c port, then things worked. Knowing that the Mbox was fine, I still want/need to have it on the opposite side of the desk, which means the Avid cable doesn't reach. I have a 10' coming and will report back once I get it installed to test. Appreciate all the suggestions

Old 04-10-2023, 12:41 PM

Okay, initial testing with another Amazon 10' cable is going smoothly, so maybe its just unhappy with a 15 footer? In any case, unless something goes sour, call this one solved

This cable has been working well for a few days, in case anyone needs the option:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0832DC7W8...t_details&th=1

Last edited by albee1952; 04-13-2023 at 07:26 AM.