Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 AM

Default better quality power cable = better quality sound?

hello people,

I read almost everywhere that better quality (expensive) 'power' cables can effect your sound in the good way. I'm considering purchasing vovox brand power cables and they are really expensive. it's just a 100 cm power cable but costs 130-150 dollars. (I know vovox is an awesome brand, but it's just a power cable)

So, do you think I should get some expensive, good quality vovox power cables to plug my eleven rack? is it worth it?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 AM

It may make a difference but unless you're listening in a well treated room with great monitors you probably won't notice. And even in a great room it would probably be negligible. I would think a good power conditioner would make more, if any, difference.

That said I don't own an eleven rack. But I do read a lot of the same hype about all kinds of cables. There is a difference between really cheap cables and mid-range to some degree. But that's usually pretty insignificant IMO and has more to do with build quality than sound quality. I think the difference is probably even smaller the more expensive you get. Again just my opinion and ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2012, 04:45 AM

Default Re: better quality power cable = better quality sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
It may make a difference but unless you're listening in a well treated room with great monitors you probably won't notice. And even in a great room it would probably be negligible. I would think a good power conditioner would make more, if any, difference.

That said I don't own an eleven rack. But I do read a lot of the same hype about all kinds of cables. There is a difference between really cheap cables and mid-range to some degree. But that's usually pretty insignificant IMO and has more to do with build quality than sound quality. I think the difference is probably even smaller the more expensive you get. Again just my opinion and ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see. and yeah, I wouldn't go for 300-400 dollars cables or even more expensive ones just because I wanna get good quality because I think, just as you said, there wouldn't be too much difference between a 150 dollar cable and 500 dollar cable.

But right now, I'm using a very old and cheap power cable I found at home for my eleven rack and I think it would of course make a difference if I plugged it with a vovox cable. but the question is: is it really worth the price?
(in any case, I must get rid of my old rusty dusty power cable though.) and thanks for your comment
Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 AM

See if the place you bought it from will allow returns. That way you can try it out and return it if you don't hear a difference.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 AM

complete bogus.
Make sure you get a cable with a high amp rating, other than that don't worry
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
See if the place you bought it from will allow returns. That way you can try it out and return it if you don't hear a difference.
yeah, they accept returns within 7 days. that's a nice idea. thanks.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Let us know if it does make a difference. I'm curious as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Let us know if it does make a difference. I'm curious as well.
I will. Gonna purchase the cable tomorrow probably.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvoyager View Post
I will. Gonna purchase the cable tomorrow probably.
Been there. Done that. Well, I didn't actually pay for them though. We got a couple as a demo. They make absolutely no difference. And if there is some way to show an electrically measurable difference, there will still be no audible difference.

Swapping out the power supply within the unit itself can make a huge difference. But that is best left to the designers and manufacturers of the devices. The power cables themselves have no effect on fidelity.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Do Coat Hangers Sound as Good as Monster Cables?

I bet the same goes for power, unless you have an extreme on either end of the spectrum.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system