Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 PM

Default AVID Video Engine unable to stop 12.5

Have had constant lock ups with 12.5 when using video.. More so than 12.4.. I thought it was mentioned that this was fixed.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 PM

Default Re: AVID Video Engine unable to stop 12.5

Me too, only twice so far.

But it's still an issue none-the-less. I've put up with it for a few years now, i'm not that bothered. Hitting 'Enter' and taking the playback head to 00:00:00:00 seems to fix it.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 PM

Wow, wish it was hat simple here. It just results in spinning beachballs and lockups, or the unexpectedly quit window!!

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-29-2016, 12:45 AM

Are you using video on the desktop, or is it with a third party card..?
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 03-29-2016, 01:00 AM

Both Jon.
Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Thunderbolt (using the 10.4.3 drivers as the later drivers are disastrous), normally, but it happens on the desktop without it connected too.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:06 AM

Hmmm. That's not ideal.

Have you tried uninstalling the Blackmagic drivers just to see if video runs ok without those drivers installed?

Not basing this on any specific knowledge of your rig, but my experience with BM drivers was that they played hell with my system, irrespective of whether I was running video through the BM card.

A complete uninstall helped.... And a reinstall of the BM drivers 100% confirmed to me that they were at fault (this was with PT12.3)

Hope you get sorted..!
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 03-29-2016, 03:58 AM

I gave up trying to solve Avid video engine issues on PT11, since the final word from Avid support was that my early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina (3.1, i7) was not officially supported.

Now it says the machine I have is supported on PT 12 and have upgraded, hoping for some change. What used to be "There was a problem stopping Pro Tools" has now been replaced with "The Avid Video Engine was unable to stop" approx every minute. Sometimes the online/offline switch, or return to zero works, quite often not and quitting is all that helps. All films I encode to DNxHD as "preferred" by Avid.

Although I've tried many, many things, I'd be wearily grateful for any suggestions. I realise comparing DAWs is not necessarily ultimately useful, but it baffles me that Cubase and Logic just seem to handle video without anything like the same fuss – even juggling differing codecs on the same timeline.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:49 AM

Oh, further to my last post. I forgot to mention that even when the engine is not exhibiting the "unable to stop" error, on average the pic freezes, while sound carries on, for about one in every five instigations of play.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:32 PM

We've just been testing 12.5.0

Trying to determine if we can run using just one HDX card instead of 2, to save $$$ of course!

Printed 5.1 and stereo STEMs without any issue with 2 HDX cards. Because voices were only at 202, pulled one HDX card and printed STEMs again.

THIS is when picture would freeze about 14 minutes in, always at the same location.

Then would have to force quit Pro Tools, open again, remove video and delete video track.

If this is AVIDs way to forcing long time users to buy more gear, it is a very DIRTY move on their part.

AVID - FIX YOUR SH#T!!!