Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-01-2021, 04:53 AM

Default East-West Opus software

Is anyone having trouble using East West Opus and it's sample libraries as a plug-in to Pro Tools?

Asking for a friend. He has no problem recording numerous midi tracks that play back just fine using the Opus Player plug-in, but when he closes the session and re-opens the next day, or even a few minutes later, Opus plug-ins are randomly greyed out and inactive, and cannot be re-activated, with various error messages that Opus tech support says Avid does not even understand. Closing and opening a second time causes more Opus tracks to become inactive.

A new beta version was provided, but the problem was not fixed at all .... now just an error message about "lack of resources", which can't possibly be true.

Asking for a friend. Everything else in Pro Tools is working fine.

Question #2 ... what is your sample library of choice for orchestral type stuff?

Media Man

His system is Pro Tools 2021.x
Lenovo i7
Windows 10
SSL 2+
Old 08-01-2021, 05:28 AM

Default Re: East-West Opus software

Opus does still seem a bit temperamental in pro tools..

I've been hosting it in ve pro, and it's been fine, but there can be moments where I'm holding my breath..

I'd imagine it will keep getting more stable, but yeah..

My next/first choice would be cinesamples..
But again you've to host in vepro for better performance really..
Old 08-02-2021, 09:54 AM

In the case of my friend the problem is consistent.

You can create a session with many instances of Opus on instrument channels, and it all works just fine.

But when you close the PT session and open it later, random tracks are "inactivated" and cannot be reactivated without an error message. We have not determined if they are in reverse order of when they were created.

Closing it again, and re-opening it later results in MORE tracks becoming inactivated.

Media Man
Old 08-02-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
now just an error message about "lack of resources", which can't possibly be true.

His system is Pro Tools 2021.x
Lenovo i7
Windows 10
SSL 2+
May we have some more information about the system? It may be hardware conflicts, software conflicts, plugin compatibility, RAM limitation, drive storage limitation, processing threads, system configuration or optimizations settings, etc.

This will provide information on how to post system information so people can help.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 08-02-2021, 03:02 PM

I've had this issue since DAY ONE Opus was released. Worked with the EW Director of Support and they made several fixes to Opus over the first weeks of it's release and could never solve this exact problem. I was so frustrated I just said to heck with it and have been using it under Studio One 5 where it works flawlessly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT-EW Errors-4.jpg (17.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT ERROR.jpg (30.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT-EW Errors-2.jpg (16.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT-EW Errors-1.jpg (31.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT-EW Errors-3.jpg (16.3 KB, 0 views)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 08-02-2021, 03:21 PM

System is a Dell 7910, 2 x 10 Core Xeon Processors, 128GB RAM, All SSD Drives, latest version of PT. Tried generating a Sandra report the that kicked an "unexpected error".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT-EW Errors-5.jpg (29.5 KB, 0 views)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 08-02-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
May we have some more information about the system? It may be hardware conflicts, software conflicts, plugin compatibility, RAM limitation, drive storage limitation, processing threads, system configuration or optimizations settings, etc.

This will provide information on how to post system information so people can help.
System details in the first post. Plenty of RAM and system and sample library on SSD drives.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:43 PM

Have you opened Opus in standalone and adjusted how much was loaded into ram?..

Think that made a difference for me, but yeah, Vienna ensemble made it workable..
Old 08-02-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
I've had this issue since DAY ONE Opus was released. Worked with the EW Director of Support and they made several fixes to Opus over the first weeks of it's release and could never solve this exact problem. I was so frustrated I just said to heck with it and have been using it under Studio One 5 where it works flawlessly.
Sounds about right. No tech support number we can find. No coordination between different tech guys that respond to live chat.

Got a new beta a few days ago and error message switch to "not enough processing power", which is not the case.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqd View Post
Have you opened Opus in standalone and adjusted how much was loaded into ram?..

Think that made a difference for me, but yeah, Vienna ensemble made it workable..
Didn't notice that adjustment, nor was it mentioned by tech support. I'll look for it.