Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Digi 003R Digital Input Help

I started to write this and figured out what the problem was during that time. I wanted to share something and maybe it will help others in my situation continue to record music and audio without stopping to figure this out.

I have a Tascam DA-P1 DAT recorder. The source really doesn't matter it's just about the digital inputs. I looked over all my settings to make sure that everything was right. I had my DAT plugged into the digital coax input and I received no sound. I double checked all the settings. Still couldn't figure it out. Then I went to Setup>Hardware. In that window the Optical Format: has two options ADAT and S/PDIF. If you are using the Toslink connectors you want to select the S/PDIF setting and if your using the coax connectors you need to select ADAT in this menu. It will make you re-load PT. I think that it's a little strage that on the back of the 003R it is labeled S/PDIF under the coax connectors and Optical under the Toslink connectors. Now unless my 003R is different than the rest Digidesign just mislabeled these on unit and in PT8.

GO TO: SETUP>HARDWARE

Optical Format:

ADAT - receives from coax port
S/PDIF - receives from Toslink port
Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Digi 003R Digital Input Help

On my 003r, my ADAT receieves from the toslink, haven't tried coax yet; S/PDIF receives from COAX with my MBox, though.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Digi 003R Digital Input Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysoul View Post
I started to write this and figured out what the problem was during that time. I wanted to share something and maybe it will help others in my situation continue to record music and audio without stopping to figure this out.

I have a Tascam DA-P1 DAT recorder. The source really doesn't matter it's just about the digital inputs. I looked over all my settings to make sure that everything was right. I had my DAT plugged into the digital coax input and I received no sound. I double checked all the settings. Still couldn't figure it out. Then I went to Setup>Hardware. In that window the Optical Format: has two options ADAT and S/PDIF. If you are using the Toslink connectors you want to select the S/PDIF setting and if your using the coax connectors you need to select ADAT in this menu. It will make you re-load PT. I think that it's a little strage that on the back of the 003R it is labeled S/PDIF under the coax connectors and Optical under the Toslink connectors. Now unless my 003R is different than the rest Digidesign just mislabeled these on unit and in PT8.

GO TO: SETUP>HARDWARE

Optical Format:

ADAT - receives from coax port
S/PDIF - receives from Toslink port
I don't think this is quite correct. When the optical format is set to ADAT, the toslink connector passes 8 channels of ADAT data, and the coax connector passes SPDIF. When the optical format is set to SPDIF, the toslink connector passes 2 channels of SPDIF and the coax connector is disabled.

I think you are coming to this conclusion because the digital source you are connecting (the DAT) is using SPDIF through coax. When you set the optical format to spdif, you are disabling the coax connector.

toslink = a type of connector
ADAT = a digital audio format that always uses toslink connectors
SPDIF = a digital audio format that can pass through ADAT or coax connectors..

It is a bit confusing. Check out pp.27 in the 003 getting started guide