How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Avid @ AES 2011 - What's New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I'm wondering how large the userbase that purchased the 11R with PTLE8 and chose not to upgrade to PT9 is... Maybe large enough that Avid will come up with some kind of promotional upgrade price to PT9 at least? And BTW I took a look at the Avid store pages and didn't find anything about PT9 anymore, is it not possible to upgrade from PTLE8 to PT9 anymore? Cause I ain't paying $500 for the upgrade to 10, not a chance.
I'm in that category. I was not in a hurry to upgrade to PT9 as I wasn't ready to pay the extra $250.00 for the upgrade for quite a while, but I was contemplating on doing it soon....but now we have PT10, and it will cost me $500 for the latest version???? That makes it even tougher to swallow.

And as brainiac5150 said
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianiac5150 View Post
yes...we don't have to upgrade now - no biggie, but wait a few months until our existing hardware won't be current or upgradeable to, let's say, Eleven Rack firmware v3 - which is only compatible with PTv10. Hope I'm wrong.

That is a very real concern! If that was to happen, I would be SERIOUSLY pissed!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
$500 from LE to PT10 is a better deal than the rest of us are getting.

PT9 was $250. PT10 is $300. So those of us who bought PT9 and PT10 pay $550. LE straight to 10 is $500.

You guys are getting a better deal than those of us who paid for 9. If they give you a discount to 9, they alienate all of us who bought it last year.
To me it's not really about getting a better or worse deal, $550 (remember you still have to buy a $50 ilok) for an upgrade is a no-go, period. Also in my own experience, early adopters have to pay the price for enjoying new technology first. Anyway I'm not even interested in PT10 right now, I don't depend on PT to make money so I'll be happy staying one version behind as long as it doesn't cost me a lot of money. And yes, by that I mean I want to pay less than $250 for the upgrade to PT9.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianiac5150 View Post
As I previously stated: yes...we don't have to upgrade now - no biggie, but wait a few months until our existing hardware won't be current or upgradeable to, let's say, Eleven Rack firmware v3 - which is only compatible with PTv10. Hope I'm wrong.
*Puts pitchfork in the corner just in case* ... Seriously: if something like this happens, I will be SO PISSED!!! Still: this is all just speculation ... let's wait and see what happens.

For now: I'll keep using PT8 LE and will be happy doing that
Awesome: Eleven Rack (with EXRP)+ M-Audio Bx8a's
Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 PM

For what it's worth, a Sweetwater rep told me that if you get the new Eleven Rack bundle with 9 included, and register it, you will get a free upgrade to 10. But if you get the box with LE 8 in it, you will have to pay the $499 upgrade.

Choose your boxes carefully!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Those who think this (firmware update outdate potential) can't happen, remember firmware 2 was outdated within a version: http://www.avid.com/US/products/Elev...Expansion-Pack, which meant if you, like me, had a PPC which could not run v8.0.4 you could not update your firmware.
With this in mind, I don't see it being out of the realm of possibility. Still hope I'm wrong, 'cause I cannot afford this update now or in the foreseeable future.

What's the ol' saying..., "Those who forget history are..." SQUIRREL!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM

I just posted this on the ERU but might as well post it here too:

So:
- if you buy Pro Tools 10 standalone: 599$
- Want to upgrade from PT8 LE: 499$ (like most of the Eleven Rack users on here)
- Eleven Rack + Expansion + PT 10 + Ilok: 899$ ...

So for 400$ extra, you get: An Ilok and another Eleven Rack (with expansion pack installed)
Awesome: Eleven Rack (with EXRP)+ M-Audio Bx8a's
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 PM

I'm excited about new stuff, but feeling a bit overwhelmed. I hadn't upgraded to PT9 since I figured I better upgrade my computer from XP to Windows 7 first. I also felt that I needed to upgrade my Adobe software from CS4 to CS5, and then they came out with CS5.5. I'm a web designer and could use the new computer and new Adobe software to earn more money to upgrade my Pro Tools. BUT ... my wife and I work together at home ... she is also a web designer and needs a new computer and upgraded Adobe software. To top it all off ... we just resigned our main client (source of income for last 10 years) and are moving to Colorado Springs. So I think I may set up a Paypal account and start asking for donations
Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Now you know why I've been saying that they will never release a standalone editor; it's just part of the insentive to keep you using ProTools. It's just their business model and it's extremely effective.

AVID isn't stupid, they are a business and not a charity so arguments about losing customers with no money is irrelevant to them...they want customers with money because that's how they stay in business and grow.

I've been through all of this a million times on the video side of the house. It's not worth getting up in arms over.

The only part that I'm a bit upset over is the fact that there is that suggestion page where everyone votes and nothing for 11R has been done and as far as we know it isn't going to either. I have a feeling that this will be a legacy item before there's an updated or another expansion pack.

With all that said the thing works as good today as it did yesterday.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
AVID isn't stupid, they are a business and not a charity so arguments about losing customers with no money is irrelevant to them...they want customers with money because that's how they stay in business and grow.
I'm actually counting on the fact that Avid isn't stupid. I'm betting that with the 11R they have reached LOTS of potential PT customers that were looking primarily for an awesome amp modeler such as the mighty orange box and ended up enjoying PT8LE. Now, let's do some simple math here, what's more profitable: 80,000 guitarists upgrading to PT9 at $150 a piece or 10,000 studios upgrading to PT10 for $300 each?

Besides, making sure that the little guy knows his way around PT is always good business practice. That's why Oracle, one of the top corporate software companies in the world, lets anyone download their stuff for free. They know that the more people get acquainted with their products, the more large companies are likely to follow. Avid would be pretty stupid not to use the leverage they've already got with the 11R + PT bundle (which was a brilliant idea), IMHO of course.

This isn't in any way a threat to Avid, far from it. It's just that I work as a Business Intelligence consultant and CRM (Customer Relations Management) is one of my areas of expertise, so in my understanding making every possible effort to avoid losing customers, even the small ones, seems pretty obvious.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Riff View Post
I just posted this on the ERU but might as well post it here too:

So:
- if you buy Pro Tools 10 standalone: 599$
- Want to upgrade from PT8 LE: 499$ (like most of the Eleven Rack users on here)
- Eleven Rack + Expansion + PT 10 + Ilok: 899$ ...

So for 400$ extra, you get: An Ilok and another Eleven Rack (with expansion pack installed)
Yeah thats a good deal, and dont forget if you search the interwebs you can probably find some 10%, 15% off ect..... coupon codes for some retailers. Music123, and Guitar Center have these promotions all the time and Avid products are usually qualified.

You could sell your 11R with ERXP for $400 to $500, then wait around for a promotion on an online retailer (10-20% off) and then purchase a new 11R with the ERXP and PT10.

So in theory:

Sell 11R with ERXP for $400

Wait for 20% off coupon

Buy new 11R with ERXP and PT 10 for $899 - 20% = $720 - $400 (that you sold the 11R for) = $320. Thats a good deal if you are still on PT8 LE

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio