Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2002, 11:31 AM

Default NTFS or FAT32?

I was thinking NTFS for my system drive (When XP driver is here) maybe keeping audio drive as FAT32? Does anyone know if it matters? Should we all stay FAT? or make that change?
Cheers.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:36 AM

Default Re: NTFS or FAT32?

You can stay fat 32 on all drives or move to NTFS on your OS DRIVE. Either way your os will run clean, and at any time, if you wish to move to NTFS on the OS drive you can with the click of a mouse. I and I'm sure others would not recommend it for your audio drive.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:41 AM

system drive NTFS, audio drives FAT32. it's gonna have to be that way until some minor issues are resolved in the next release.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:43 AM

just wondering if it would effect my sessions, say after a clean install of XP, both system and audio drives on NTFS,.. because the audio was saved on FAT32 and opened on NTFS will it be ok?
Not sure how this FAT/NTFS thing works but I'm a little worried. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 11:45 AM

damn you got to be quick round here, thanks mattm/Citi,.. I was thinking along those lines.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:50 AM

Should we all stay FAT?

I thought this was funny. I just ordered fatty and greasy chinese. I think my audio drive will be staying fat a wee bit longer...
Old 06-19-2002, 01:11 PM

Trust me. If your computer runs at 1Ghz or faster, NTFS all the way. Its a more efficient filing system. Some say it will slow your drive down. No, it won't. I run a NTFS drive for Nuendo. When I made the switch from Fat 32, I loaded up a song that I was working on that had 68, 24-bit tracks. It ran no different. You just get a few more options like file encryption for security for you projects. If your files are encrypted, they will be protected from viruses that are caused by another persons user profile. The virus will not have access to your session files because a code (that you create) is required to modify your files in any way (deleting, or corruption). For that matter, No one will have access to your files. No accidents! Well unless you make them. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Jayman #9
Old 06-19-2002, 04:44 PM

Calling Mark Knecht, Mark? you around? NTFS or FAT32 what do you think? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 06:06 PM

It's really, really weird when you get to the bottom of a thread and find this!! Weird.

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel_p:
Calling Mark Knecht, Mark? you around? NTFS or FAT32 what do you think? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Personally I don't think it makes a huge difference really. NTSF is more current, and it's more reliable, supposedly. With a good underlying hard drive I doubt it will make much difference one way or another. A more likely way to get higher performance is just to build 32KB clusters on a fast audio drive.

In a perfect world, when PTLE is running you won't be accessing your system drive at all. IF that's the case, then NTSF/FAT won't matter while running.

My number one reason to NOT use NTSF (admittedly a bit outdated) on my system drive is that if I boot my machine with a DOS floppy, with FAT I can see my system drive, while with NTSF I can't. I do boot with DOS once in awhile, so to me it's important.

More important would be getting a version of Norton Ghost that supports NTSF. I'm sure it's out there, but I'd want to check first.

I doubt this really answered your question. Basically, go with which ever makes you happy. They're both good.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 06-19-2002, 09:36 PM

Or get Drive Image which supports NT/XP! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Another thing is if you're going to a Dual Boot, the partition you make NTFS is going to be invisible to the 9x partition/OS; You will not be able to share files between the two OS's.
If you make 'em both '32, you would.

Something to consider as you choose.

As far as I've heard, one of the key things about NTFS is the security angle, but for our purposes that's probably a minor consideration.

So- there we have a 360 degree view of the issue!