Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2002, 10:57 AM

Default who\'s using patchbay and mixer?

Simply out of curiosity, that's all.

Some people have just the 001, some have the 001 and an external mixer, while others have both and patchbay on top of that.

If you have all three (or more than one of each) in your setup, how do you have it configured for the tracking and mixing purposes? Ever get confused as to what's gone where and fed back into somewhere else?

Let us know how it's working out for ya!

pk
Old 06-18-2002, 11:34 AM

Default Re: who\'s using patchbay and mixer?

All the above for me...
32 ch A&H GS3000 mixer w/tube pre's, in & outs to a balanced patch bay, inserts to an unbalanced patch bay...
24 track Reel to Reel Tascam MSR24S W/Dolby S in & outs to a unbalanced patch bay...
Digi 001 ins to a balanced patch bay...
Alesis AI-3 ins to a balanced patch bay, lightpipe to the 001...

It's really easy once it's all set up and stuff is on there own bay...

The patch bay lets me record drums on analog then transfer to PTLE very quickly, or record straight to PTLE and use any ch/pre amp on the mixer...

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 06-18-2002, 11:44 AM

SL6000E - has left-hand side patch bay. quite a find, i believe. and al smart did up the line amps and installed the '4000 mode' mod.

as good as it sounds, it doesn't go anywhere near as loud or deep as a VR.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:46 AM

Yep...have and Alesis 32 mixer and patchbays...basically the patchbays are used to route my sound modules, MPC, etc to the channels of my mixer than buss those channels into the digi...patchbays keep me from having to plug and unplug and insert and blah blah...everything in my studio is rackmounted and my patchbays are labeled...
Old 06-18-2002, 01:16 PM

There's a really good piece on building patchbays in the current issue of TapeOp. If you're not a subscriber, I'd highly recommend it- it's about the only magazine that isn't of the same Mix/Electronic Musician/Guitar Player/ EQ etc. slick mold. It's more like real people.
Free subscription online at:
http://www.tapeop.com/

Most ADAT converters have outputs, too, so you'd have to do a S/PDIF coax conversion too. That'd be 18.
Check out Frontier Design's Tango 24, for example.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:27 PM

RE: 16 channels to mix yeah you can do it, get an 8 channel D/A converter with optical - run your 8 outs from this to board. Use the other 8 analog outs of the 001 to board. I use the RME ADI-Pro 8, 8 channels A/D and D/A
Old 06-18-2002, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joz:
I want to mix on the console, at least 16 channels, is there a way to have 16 direct outs, out of the 001?? I know you can have 16 in, with an Adat bridge or something... but I need 8 extra channels out, besides the ones on the 001
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Alesis AI-3 has 8 analog and 8 analog outs...
mixer to the AI-3 to the 001 "via lightpipe", out of the 001's lightpipe to the AI-3 light pipe, then out of the AI-3's 8 analog outputs to the mixer returns/tape in's...
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 06-19-2002, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Obscene:
Yep...have and Alesis 32 mixer and patchbays...basically the patchbays are used to route my sound modules, MPC, etc to the channels of my mixer than buss those channels into the digi...patchbays keep me from having to plug and unplug and insert and blah blah...everything in my studio is rackmounted and my patchbays are labeled...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm with this one. I've got the same mixer, and have patchbays to make things easier. I've also got an ADAT XT and Tascam CDRW 2000, along with various other things, which I've accumulated. I decided to keep it all so that I could be more versatile, and use the mixer mainly as an extra set of pre's, until I can afford a digital 8 ch pre unit, such as Digimax
Old 06-19-2002, 12:58 AM

I want to mix on the console, at least 16 channels, is there a way to have 16 direct outs, out of the 001?? I know you can have 16 in, with an Adat bridge or something... but I need 8 extra channels out, besides the ones on the 001