How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-24-2021, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Ask authorized Avid resellers, some of them may have old stock "reinstatement" codes still available. Avid stopped selling them long ago so I really do not know where to get one, but Avid promised if someone has unused code they will recognize it even if it is not used right away.
Thanks JFreak, I emailed my Sweetwater engineer at the beginning of the week to see if they had any reinstatements for expired licenses or any deals on a new perpetual license but he never got back with me. I'm not sure who else to contact. I've only ever used Sweetwater and AMS. I'll look around though. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
You are on PT standard or Ultimate? The only one I can find is Ultimate reinstatement plans from Alto Music.
abc1mce2, I have the standered version of PT. My ilok has version 9 thru 2019.10 on it with an Eleven MK II license as well.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:48 AM

Removing the reinstatement was so cynical..
There should be some sort of boycott or something..
I'm on an educational license at the minute, but once that's up that's it..They'll never get another penny from me..
Old 09-25-2021, 01:33 PM

All this talk about perpetual licenses and how long you decide to hold on to your version 12 of protools can be undaunting, but what would happen if they decide to roll out version 13 of protools. What would perpetual owners have to say then when protools goes subscription only. For now just sit and wait realizing perpetual stopped at protools 12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2021, 01:36 PM

Version 13?

It is called 2018.x or 2019.x or 2020.x or 2021.x

Got it?
Old 09-25-2021, 02:42 PM

Default Promo for perpetual license holders

The years you talk about use the protools 12 asset for ilok licensing with an expiration. It doesn’t take rocket science for software developers to come out with a new version. So called pt 13 or something similar to deem the protools 12 perpetual unusable after they decide to have the new revision to go subscription only.
As a matter of fact, they’ve already done it. Both licenses exist. I have both unexpired. They only have to stop pt 12 ilok asset support to go subscription only. They’re two different license types.
Another point is their expiration model. They stopped selling reinstatements. All they have to do is stop selling extensions for perpetual licenses at this point.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by spinsong; 09-25-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:08 PM

I hear ya, I was toying with the idea of possibly purchasing a PT Carbon with the PT Ultimate perpetual license included. The offer states that the software has to be registered by 12/31/21. So, they could come out with a new PT version on 1/1/23 that has different terms of use that could block you from reinstatement. At that point, you would have to buy a new perpetual license or go subscription. Of course, your current system would still work with your existing copy of PT but computers are changing so fast and it’s hard if not impossible to keep your OS form updating which could render your system incompatible.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:07 PM

I had PT12 perpetual that came with an Eleven rack I bought several years ago. It works with Mac OSX up to High Sierra. Being formally employed at a professional facility with current Pro Tools, I did not mind languishing at PT 12 for home, even though I never really used it much because I got into Logic for music, and updated my Mac OS to Catalina. Being now retired from a professional facility, I decided to go with an upgrade to 2 years from a retailer (at discounted price of $199) Seems like a good deal for me, not everyone. And in a couple of years if I still want it, I will deal with the current situation then. YMMV of course.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberti1 View Post
I hear ya, I was toying with the idea of possibly purchasing a PT Carbon with the PT Ultimate perpetual license included. The offer states that the software has to be registered by 12/31/21. So, they could come out with a new PT version on 1/1/23 that has different terms of use that could block you from reinstatement. At that point, you would have to buy a new perpetual license or go subscription. Of course, your current system would still work with your existing copy of PT but computers are changing so fast and it’s hard if not impossible to keep your OS form updating which could render your system incompatible.
I guess now I’m being a bit cynical. I’ve been using Pro Tools since version 4 and have put up with all the shenanigans from Digidesign and Avid over the years, but nothing compared to the betrayal that was the dropping of reinstatements and renewals. Now their slowly bringing things back but still no reinstatements. The $99 offer for the 1 year subscription is nice and all but I have no intentions on ever going subscription so it does nothing for me.

I really miss the simplicity of PT LE. You could just buy the piece of hardware and PT just works. I’ve owned AudioMedia III, Digi001, MBox, Digi002, Eleven Rack, and MBox Pro 3 and loved them all. The Digi001 was very special to me and is what made me really love Pro Tools and the Eleven Rack is the most amazing product that I can think of. It just needed a pro version with quality pres, converters, and ADAT IO.

I really do think Avid will eventually come around and offer some kind of reinstalment for expired perpetual licenses. But in the meantime, the PT Carbon is looking pretty good. The Perpetual PT Ultimate 1 year updates could get me through the Monterey and new Apple silicon updates. I just hope that Windows gets the AVB software stack within my active update period. If not, it looks like they do have a renewal for active perpetual Ultimate users. Avid, please don’t take that away.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:06 AM

The only way they'll ever bring the reinstatement back is if enough people just stay where they are and tell them to shove their subscription..
Old 09-26-2021, 12:01 PM

I'm really struggling to stay updated but I think I have to let pro tools plan lapse and see what the future holds...I really like pro tools but the guys at Avid just makes it impossible.