Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Can't get Apogee Duet (Firewire) to appear in I/O

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I just purchased Pro Tools 10 today and for the life of me, can't figure out how to assign my trusty Apogee Duet (legacy/FireWire version) through the I/O setup window in PT10. It just won't appear. No issues at all getting the Duet assigned as the playback engine. I/O is a whole other story. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Update PT10 to current version
2. Update PT drivers
3. Uninstall (through Apogee software) Maestro
4. Re-install current version of Maestro
5. Run disk utility
6. Open Audio MIDI setup in OS X. Clicked ProTools Aggregate I/O and checked the Duet device (it was not checked). Un-checked built-in microphone/input/output boxes.

Still can't get it to appear in the I/O area. I'm stumped guys. Any ideas? Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks,
19Delta
Old 03-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Can't get Apogee Duet (Firewire) to appear in I/O

Did you download and install the duet drivers from the apogee site so the duet is compatible with PTX ? Only other idea do you know about holding down the n key when booting up PT? This should let you select the duet !

Honestedly i had one and it never worked as well with PTX as with 9. I sold it. Meastro was alway weird and sluggish !

Don't mean to be negative just my experience !

Epiphone
Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks for responding Epiphone. Neat trick w/ n key but sadly Duet doesn't show up in I/O list there either. Again, it does however show up as an option in Playback Engine. By golly, I'm pulling my hair out with this!!

Yes, I downloaded the drivers from Apogee. Again, I'm using the original Duet, which runs on FireWire. Only other thing I can think of is that Apogee updated the drivers for Lion which uses a different version of Maestro, but not for Snow Leopard, which runs on the original Maestro platform.

My setup is:

ProTools 10
Apogee Duet, FireWire (legacy version and nothing else connected on the firewire bus)
OS X 10.6.8

Any help appreciated guys. I'm on my own until Monday when I can ring up someone at Apogee Support to figure out this snag.

Best,
19D
Old 03-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Success! You guys are going to hate me for this. I fixed it and I don't have a clue how. After trying all of the steps first mentioned, who knows which of them, if any, were really necessary. In Playback Engine, "Duet" appeared as "(Duet 3931") right from first launch of PT10, without issue. However, now in I/O Setup, I think I was moronically overlooking "D3931" (a la Duet 3931) entirely -- somehow assuming it was NOT the Duet. In other words, I was an idiot.

From D3931, I can assign XLR 1, XLR 2 and so-on. I think the simple fix was simply closing and re-starting. I've run some tests through microphones and other inputs and everything is running just fine now.

One thing that possibly simplified this process was to launch Apple's MIDI Audio Setup app and un-check "built in" everything and assure Duet 3931 was checked "use." That may be a necessary step, but again, I pushed too many buttons today to remember which is necessary and which isn't. Overall, I assume I complicated an otherwise seamless process.

Cheers!
19D
Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Hey Great, your problem didn't make sense !!

If your duet was connected and there was nothing wrong with your FW cable then you set the duet as the default i/o in the preferences then in PTX it should be aotonatically recognized as a new device in midiaudio set up and finally in your session use n to select it at the beginning of session log in and opening the set up and confirming all I/O screen as default is the normal process.

So your all set now ! I don't think there are drivers for snowleopard yet so as long as you have lion hit record !!!

Epiphone