Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Second Sound Card running in line with MBOX?

Right now I want to use a video editing program on my audio editor? I have a few choices (Adobe, Avid or Ulead). I am running an MBOX with PT 6.7 on XP SP2. I read a white paper saying a sound card can be added to a PC so other audio software can use it, e.g. CD player, Win Media Player. Currently I have a sound card on the motherboard. Should I configure that one or get a cheap one and run it along with my MBOX? Will another sound card even work?

PS, I was told by sales at Digidesign that they are writing a patch for those that want to use the Avid DV software to work with the MBOX. I didn't get a time frame.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Second Sound Card running in line with MBOX?

Wavedriver is the driver that should allow your Windows XP apps to play back through the MBox.
Some apps are ASIO compatable and can both play back and record through the MBox. A Rewire compatable app can be run from within ProTools LE. If you want to use your normal sound card for your general apps, you should be able to, simply don't load the Wavedriver and configure Windows XP to use the normal sound card. The reason many disable the sound card in their system is that it sometimes causes problems with PTLE.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:10 PM

Thanks,

I found that CDs do play through PTLE. I can't get Win Media Player to Play simple .wav, .mp3 or .aif. I don't know if this is a second hand product of PT or do I have a problem with media player. It gets frustrating when trying to audition files when not in the PT audio insert dialogue box. Is there a patch for win player. (updated ASIO or wave mapper file?)
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM

I've never tried to run both on the same machine. I network the wav file to another machine to play through my stereo for an alternative evaluation to the monitors. You might double check the settings in Windows XP sound driver or the Windows Media Player preferences. Also check the Digidesign Answerbase. I think I saw something on this not to long ago.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:19 AM

Thanks for the help. I will look in the answerbase.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks,

I found that CDs do play through PTLE. I can't get Win Media Player to Play simple .wav, .mp3 or .aif. I don't know if this is a second hand product of PT or do I have a problem with media player. It gets frustrating when trying to audition files when not in the PT audio insert dialogue box. Is there a patch for win player. (updated ASIO or wave mapper file?)
You do need the wavedriver and MME helper installed for that . Do a quick search...lots of times talked about.
Also, you cannot have PT LE open for this to work...
good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring