Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-11-2022, 04:29 AM

Default Strategies for Folder/Aux freezing - sends/returns

Hi - new Pro Tools user here, so go gently please...

I'm trying to get my head around the implications of Pro Tools' Folder Track (submit) freezing. This could be useful as a lot of my cpu-expensive processing tends to go on folders/auxs, rather than individual tracks.

However, when you freeze a folder/aux - you are freezing the summed audio coming thru that bus, and not the individual tracks within the folder/submix.

The issue comes with FX sends/returns. The individual track audio that is routed to the folder will be dry, because the FX sends will not be returned to the group - they'll be returned (probably) to the mixbus. So freezing a folder's summed audio will not contain the individual tracks' send effects (verbs/delays etc) unless they are on inserts.

Further, when you freeze a folder, you need to mute/disable the child tracks - so you are then unable to have individual sends.

So I guess some solutions may be:

1. Always use sends that return to a track within the group/submix. However, if you do this, your FX will be further processed by any inserts/sends on the folder...

2. Use dedicated FX plugins and returns for each instrument group - and freeze the return too. Leads to duplication of FX plugins rather than mix-wide re-use.

3. Use inserts instead for reverbs/delays etc. Wasteful duplication?

4. Don't freeze at all!

Any strategies, pointers, tips, methodologies you can recommend?

Many thanks
Old 04-11-2022, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Strategies for Folder/Aux freezing - sends/returns

Personally, the only time I use Freeze is for a very temporary situation(which means I almost never use it). When I use Freeze, its only to free up resources for recording a last-minute addition, and as soon as that's done, I immediately unfreeze.

Folders are great for some, but for me and my average 60-70 track pop/rock project, they just don't offer much. When I do need to free up system resources, I use Track Commit(which I think is your best solution). If I am sure I am finished with editing the track, I will select to Hide and Make Inactive for the original track. If I think I may need to make changes, then I will only make the original inactive. This leaves it right next to the committed version(but it uses no resources as its inactive). This also allows for normal editing of the committed version.

Others may have better advice, but for now, I would not freeze folders, or use it only for those last-minute overdubs and unfreeze as soon as you can

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-12-2022, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Strategies for Folder/Aux freezing - sends/returns

Many thanks for the response.