Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-24-2022, 09:25 AM

Default Separating dialogue track into clips for tightening up

Just discovered this - built in to ProTools: EDIT >>>Strip Silence

Using a DeBreath is a quick way to minimize breaths in a dialogue track, but it does nothing for spacing. Once breaths are eliminated, that extra space between phrases or clips can usually be shortened (tightened up) - something I prefer to do manually in order to preserve a spoken cadence.

But with the Strip Silence function, I can in one fell swoop separate that dialogue track into multiple clips based on a silence/loudness threshold. I can even set how much pad I want left on the front and back of each clip.

Select your audio, choose EDIT>>>Strip Silence. Then use the sliders to set your parameters. You'll see in real time where the cuts will occur in your audio, so adjust the sliders until you get the best result.

Then, click STRIP (to remove the silent parts - leaving you just with the relevant audio); SEPARATE (to slice everything into clips... including the silent sections); EXTRACT (if you want to be left with just the silence... although I suppose you could adjust parameters so that you would be left with just the non-silent parts? IDK)

STRIP is what I've been looking for... and it's going to be a real time saver.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Separating dialogue track into clips for tightening up

Regarding leaving "just the non-silent parts"...

The threshold setting. Say -26 dB.... If the peak is -30, it won't get above.

Then,

The Min Strip Duration. Say 500 ms.... If the peak is less than -26 dB for only 400 ms, then the peak is above -26 dB again, Strip Silence will not make a cut here.

If the "silent" part (below -26 dB) is 800 ms, but the duration is still 500 ms,

Then,

The Start and End pad, if combined add up to about 300 ms, then again the "silent" part will not be cut.

To worry about removing "silence" below -70 or -80 dB because it's "non-zero" might be practically trivial and "just removing" -inf parts but leaving all parts with ANY sound seems more of a very technical process, but there might be a workflow for it.

Effectively, strip silence nearly always removes the very quiet parts for me, but on occasion, it will end up chopping a last dialogue consonant but NOT the seemingly unwanted click/pop.