Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 10-30-2021, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Crunchy distortion with 002 rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Excellent upgrade!
Uh would be if the computer supported thunderbolt!
Old 10-30-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh oh. Unfortunately you are confused about Thunderbolt, which is easy to do. I suspect you will want to return the PreSonus Quantum 2626 asap and make sure you get your money back.

USB-C is just a physical connector spec, what a USB-C port delivers you have to always be careful of.

Your ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) motherboard has a USB-C connector, I believe delivering 3.2 Gen 2 but not Thunderbolt. And I don't think your motherboard has a Thunderbolt header (and no BIOS support?) to allow you to add a Thunderbolt adapter card (but check with ASUS or your system builder). Thunderbolt is Intel developed technology, and AMD processor motherboards had no support for Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt add-in cards (which ASUS do make at least for other motherboards) until fairly recently.

There are lots of nice Thunderbolt interfaces out there, but Thunderbolt on Windows is unfortunately not great at times, so even if your PC had Thunderbolt it's also maybe a good idea to check folks are using any exact Windows Thunderbolt setup with a particular Thunderbolt interface.

All of which I was skipping over by suggesting you look at USB interfaces.
Well..yes you are correct. It IS easy to screw this up with USB-3. The PreSonus site states "Quantum 2626 is a Thunderbolt 3 compatible interface that uses the USB Type-C connector."and this " Windows 10 is the first Microsoft Operating System to fully support the Thunderbolt protocol" but further digging seems to tap into your explanation above.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:32 AM

OK...Just switched my order to this one: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface. I have become hopelessly entangled in the USB 3/3.1/1st Gen/2nd Gen/Thunderbolt plate of spaghetti!! Daryll, not sure where you live, but if NYC I'd buy you dinner!
Old 10-30-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Uh would be if the computer supported thunderbolt!
Oops ... I just assumed ...
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-01-2021, 02:31 AM

Hello All
In reference to the question about the DIMM error messages in the SANDRA report, I checked with the expert I know on systems and his reply is below. As stated, my computer is working very well (in addition, a systems check in the computer shows no errors). Anyway, food for thought with the additional input. Thanks MUCH for all the assistance! Kent

In short, as long as you're not experiencing any issues (random blue screens, etc) I really wouldn't worry about it. Memory compatibility lists only show what the motherboard manufacturer has directly tested, not the entirety of what will work with the motherboard. Buying from the QVL can minimize headaches when building, but it's far from a requirement, and I rarely bother for the reasons below...

Now for the TLDR section... Almost none of these memory manufacturers, such as "Neo Forza" in your case, actually manufacture the memory chips they use. They simply purchase memory chips from one of the big three, Samsung, Hynix, or Micron, and then bundle them together on a RAM stick, or DIMM. For the type of RAM desktop computers use, there's almost no intelligent circuitry on the DIMM itself. The CPU and motherboard interface directly with the RAM chips, so the DIMM is basically just a substrate and electrical traces. The reason this is important is that it's really hard to mess up electrical traces.

In your case "Neo Forza "uses Hynix chips. I checked, and Hynix chips are listed on 463 other RAM modules/DIMM's in your motherboard's QVL. So the odds of "Neo Forza" having messed up the electrical traces on the DIMM in such a way as to make it still work as RAM, but be incompatible with your motherboard is overwhelmingly small.

I did look into "Neo Forza", and they seem like a smaller, more recent boutique manufacturer of RAM. These pop up pretty often, as the barrier to entry is pretty small. They just have to buy memory chips and put them on a DIMM, after all... but anyway, that's likely the reason ASUS never got around to testing them.

So in summary, while they're not listed on the QVL, I wouldn't be worried unless you're actually experiencing issues.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:09 AM

...not following your logic at all. You are here because you *are* experiencing issues. Distortion issues and secondarily you have Sandra reporting a memory error.

And your buddy is wrong, he might have got away with stuff, he might never notice problems happening with silent corruption. Different memory vendors buy different qualified and binned chips. Memory is not just a commodity that you can assume is all the same because the chips come from the same vendor. I've been up to my ass in sourcing many $M of (custom) DIMMs for high end computer manufacturers and this stuff is nontrivial.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
...not following your logic at all. You are here because you *are* experiencing issues. Distortion issues and secondarily you have Sandra reporting a memory error.

And your buddy is wrong, he might have got away with stuff, he might never notice problems happening with silent corruption. Different memory vendors buy different qualified and binned chips. Memory is not just a commodity that you can assume is all the same because the chips come from the same vendor. I've been up to my ass in sourcing many $M of (custom) DIMMs for high end computer manufacturers and this stuff is nontrivial.
Hi Darryl, Thanks for the response. I'm way above my knowledge level in this discussion so just putting in various input from sources that know much more than I do!!
Old 11-01-2021, 04:02 AM

Okay, challenge accepted.

Distortion here can be caused of bad memory, bad firewire, or bad external clocking. Assuming you are troubleshooting 002 only (with internal clocking) that leaves only two options.

First try another firewire cable. If it fixes internal clocking that is your easiest and cheapest fix.

If it does not work, listen to Darryl and replace your ram modules.

This is oversimplification of course, but try these first before asking further advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2021, 04:13 AM

Thank you everyone for the valued input. The comments about the firewire cable appear to be spot-on. Since changing the cable the distortion issues have gone away with the 002. The advise to look at upgrading my audio interface were taken to heart and I am looking forward to trying out the new focusrite scarlett 18i20 3rd gen interface I have on order. With the added knowledge of the DIMM alerts, I am on the lookout for issues that may result from this and will know what to address if/when problems occur.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw88keys View Post
... comments about the firewire cable appear to be spot-on. Since changing the cable the distortion issues have gone away ...
cool
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume