Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-14-2022, 11:41 PM

Default Horizontal Scroll by Rocking the Scroll Wheel from Side to Side

My Logitech mouse offers the ability to rock the scroll wheel from side to side for a horizontal scroll. I want Pro Tools to recognize this for a horizontal scroll. Would this be considered a feature request? I am running the latest version of Pro Tools in Windows 11.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Horizontal Scroll by Rocking the Scroll Wheel from Side to Side

You could scroll from side to side with a Mac Trackpad in the MacBook or and external one so it might be possible to implement.

Stephen

Save an additional 10% off any purchase at Waves!

https://www.waves.com/r/9zsnwd
Old 09-15-2022, 10:06 AM

Try X-Mouse Button Control, you may be able to program the mouse to do what you want with a Pro Tools custom keyboard shortcut for scroll left and scroll right.

Personally, while I do scroll left and right, I use Delete and Separate at Playhead far more, so Right Click is "B", which is Separate at Playhead in Commands Focus Mode, Left Tilt is "Delete" and Right Tilt is "Right Click". The Thumb Buttons are Nudge Right and Nudge Left. Makes editing much faster as my hands rarely leave the mouse or left side of the keyboard.

And now with customizable keyboard shortcuts, the Tilde Key is "Consolidate", the Escape Key is "Bounce Mix" and "Q" is Ctrl+T.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-15-2022, 01:09 PM

It seems like out of the box, Pro Tools on Windows doesn't recognize the mouse having the ability for a horizontal scroll. I want to avoid having to press Shift along with the scroll wheel for a horizontal scroll.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:06 PM

Yes, as suggested was X-Mouse Button application. Windows might have something like it if not it.

I use SteerMouse on MacOS to control what seems to be now less officially supported 4 button trackball from Kensington.

As you say "Out of the box, Windows doesn't recognize" your mouse behavior. (Some apps might recognize it, doesn't mean all 'just should' even if that would be easy)

That's what one of these Mouse enabling applications gets the >>system to recognize, which naturally passes to Pro Tools the command you wish the >>system to pick up >>when PT happens to be running.

I use SteerMouse in many apps, as well as KeyBoard Maestro, as well as MacOS scripts and shortcuts. Whenever I do something again and again and I realize it's the EXACT same steps every time, I automate that stuff the most I can!!!

For example, Control-Shift-Upper-Right-Button when mouse hovering over a clip makes PT select the clip, pull up Strip silence, hit strip button, hide strip silence window, pull up fade window, apply fade setting, then group clips according initial clip selection. I was tapping all day long before setting this up! Literally a dozen tiny steps in two modifiers and a mouse click!
||software: Monterey 12.5.1 | PT Studio 2022.10 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB //
||devices: Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT condenser mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | 32" 4k LG secondary display //
||automation: SoundFlow | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse //
Old 09-15-2022, 04:17 PM

Shift+scroll works pretty well(in case you were not aware)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2022, 04:56 PM

It appears that it was mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDmUSA View Post
I want to avoid having to press Shift along with the scroll wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Shift+scroll works pretty well(in case you were not aware)
I like having same wheel do double duty with the shift modifier, but I can imagine if the mouse I was using did recognize that kind of gesture, I could get used to it and want it to do things I like to do.
||software: Monterey 12.5.1 | PT Studio 2022.10 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||devices: Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT condenser mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | 32" 4k LG secondary display //
Old 09-16-2022, 01:49 AM

The bottom line is this:
The Windows operating system recognizes that my mouse has the ability to do a horizontal scroll. I did install one additional piece of software related to the mouse, so maybe it is this piece of software that brings the horizontal scroll to life for the operating system. However, it is clearly the case that when Pro Tools is running, the Pro Tools application takes over the control of keyboard and mouse.

So.... I am essentially asking for Avid to modify their Windows version to allow a person to perform a horizontal scroll using a single-handed gesture on a mouse that offers a horizontal scroll.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:11 AM

Did you try stuff like this:

https://superuser.com/questions/1194...ntal-scrolling

It looks like it's at least more than only Avid failing. It looks like Excel 365 doesn't even do it right on Windows with a Microsoft Arc proprietary mouse with horizontal scroll:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ng/m-p/1172082