Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-14-2016, 08:46 PM

Default Import Session Data Not Working As Usual

Hi all, hopefully someone can help.

For years I've always used Import Session Data flawlessly with no problems. Oddly just recently I tried it and for some odd reason it keeps importing everything fine (session data) as usual, BUT won't put the audio in the tracks it importing with them where it belongs.

The audio is in the region bin. I can drag it out and its there. Yes. BUT every time I did this before, it just simply imports the tracks with all audio placed properly where it goes.

The only difference this time I can see that might be causing this, is for some reason under the "Audio Media Options" the choice I usually chose (Copy From Source Media) is not available, its greyed out. And so is "Link To Source Media". The only 2 choices it allows me to pick is "Force To Target Session Format" or "Consolidate From Media Source".

Both available choices seem to do the same issue I speak of. Then again, I do not know if indeed this is the source of the problem. I'm just mentioning this is the only difference I see in the Import Session Data window from the other times it worked as usual.

Both sessions were on a Mac. Session I'm importing FROM is PT 10.3.8 with the session at 24 bit / 44.1k .wav. Session importing TO is PT 12.4 session at 32 Bit Float 24 bit / 96k .wav.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 10-15-2016, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Import Session Data Not Working As Usual

You're likely forgetting to click the Import to Current Playlist button.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
You're likely forgetting to click the Import to Current Playlist button.
If your referring to the : "Main Playlist Options" section, then no sir, as I have done for years I have "Import - Replace existing playlists" chose. But I never seen a "Import to current Playlist" button.

Also, all the desired imported track's destinations are "New Track". And Track Data to Import is: "All"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (44.2 KB, 0 views)
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 10-15-2016, 06:16 PM

Re the session timecode start times the same?
Old 10-16-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Re the session timecode start times the same?
Omg, Philthy, your a genius... Damn, I didn't notice this guy started the session at like 1hr !! I have never done that and all my sessions never go over 5min. LOL

So I looked WAY towards the end of the session, sure enough, they are all there staring at 1hr !

But whats so strange (and how this confusion happened, cause I did think of that) is on the session he made, when I open it by itself independently, it starts right at the beginning of the session. But is there a way to make 1hr be at the beginning ? Then he did that and made it look like the very start (all the way to the left as far as it will go) of the session.

Add that to, I was checking the "offset" option to make all media land on bar 5 of my session. (Which is where I want it) so I figured no matter where the media was, it would put it there. But it did not.

So thats strange. Very strange. But either way, thanks man, I got it working now, I just have to slide the regions way over to where I want them.

Problem solved folks. But the "offset" doesn't seem to work. That is a problem.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 10-16-2016, 04:17 AM

The reason why 'copy from source' isn't available is because you are transcoding to 32 bit float by the way - because your destination session is a different word length than your source.

The offset works - it's just not very intuitive. I have had a dialog with AVID about this. When there is a tempo map and a 'sequence start trigger' i.e. a bar 1 and tempo marker - it is a bit kafacta.

There is a setting in the top right that will 'maintain absolute timecode' or 'maintain relative timecode' - under that is a button (I believe it's under it - not in front of PT at the moment) that says something along the lines of 'offset session start time to match incoming session start time' and then the 'maintain absolute timecode' will no longer be gray.

In Pro Tools 12.5.1 the start time of current session appears as default - which is wrong as it then offsets incoming by that amount - so you have to click int that and make it zero - again NOT very intuitive and same on AVID for messing this up after so many versions.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:08 PM

I know I'm late to this but was searching here for similar problem. But in your case, under "Main Playlist Options" make sure Do Not Import is not selected.